Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Is my Glenn mango actually a Keitt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Is my Glenn mango actually a Keitt? Reply with quote

I asked if my Glenn Mango is actually a Glenn over on TFF: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17262.0, because I was noticing that it was not actually growing like a Glenn should.

I got a couple of suggestions that said it looked like a Keitt. So I did some image searching on Keitt growth habits, and the best one that I found was from (of course) Phoenix Tropicals: http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/keittMangoExpanded.html.

I was noticing especially at the top of the tree picture in the above link that the branches kind of bend over and start growing down, giving a very weeping/lanky appearance, which is exactly what my tree is doing.

I am reposting my observations below. What do you think, is my 'Glenn' actually a Keitt?

----------------------

I have a young Glenn Mango. I bought and planted it in Feb. I would estimate that it is between 2 and 3 years old. However, I am watching its new flushes and I am wondering if it is actually a Glenn?

From several Glenn tree pics that I have found on the forum all the new growth seems to have a mild red tint to it (almost 'peach' colored) before turning light green and then hardening to dark green. Is this correct?

The Glenn that I have has absolutely no red to the new growth flush whatsoever. It starts out as light green right from the bud and then hardens to dark green. Is this something that some Glenns tend to do? (My Manila on the other hand starts out with a medium red flush, which turns to light red large leaves, to light green large leaves and hardens to dark green. The way I would expect a Manila to behave.)

As an aside, this tree is growing like a beast. It is *very* lanky, it has put on at least 8 growth flushes since the spring. It took my 115 F heat like it was nothing. No crispy leaves and it just continues to push growth. (my Manila on the other hand has a bunch of crispy leaf tips that correlate to days over 110 F). And here is the kicker: 3 weeks ago it started flowering!! It was way too young to flower in the spring (it was just a stick, with a really high cleft graft and a few pushed out buds on top).

What do you think, does it sound like a Glenn?

Sorry for the bluriness on the closeup. But the important thing is the color. You can see that the new growth is all green, no red at all.

Flower stalks since late July, there are several all over the tree. Not on every branch but several.

starch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better images below

mango3.jpg
 Description:
Flower stalks since late July, there are several all over the tree. Not on every branch but several.
 Filesize:  283.33 KB
 Viewed:  638 Time(s)

mango2.jpg
 Description:
Sorry for the bluriness on the closeup. But the important thing is the color. You can see that the new growth is all green, no red at all.

Download
 Filename:  mango2.jpg
 Filesize:  148.99 KB
 Downloaded:  721 Time(s)

mango1.jpg
 Description:
All the growth from the original graft point (about 2 feet up on the trunk) has pushed out, then started 'weeping' down. All the mature growth since the spring has been mostly down/sideways as it hardens. It is not upright growth

Download
 Filename:  mango1.jpg
 Filesize:  195.09 KB
 Downloaded:  677 Time(s)

starch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some more pictures here to help with the ID: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=17262.msg218767#msg218767
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starch - I'm on that other forum as well. It's so hard to say because my Glenn is kind of lanky fall-over too in its growth. Getting the fruit should be the evidence you need. Glenn tends to be smaller than Keitt and at my house in Palm Springs, tends to be the one of the first ones to ripen while the Keitt is the last....

m.a.dog
starch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mad. Yeah, that's really going to be what matters, when I get the fruit.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trees can be so similar, but yes, I do recall the Keitt always having green new growth. I wonder if that can depend on the weather though. Notice that the fruit are very different. I think you'll know for sure when you get fruit.

Glenn
https://millancabia.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/glenn-mango3.jpg

Keitt
http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/keittMangoCutFruit.jpg
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point PT on the new growth color. Yes I do notice that at least in the spring time the flushes on the Glenn are quite reddish/rust colored and I've never noticed that on the Keitt....

maddy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: