Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

What to do with a baby pumpkin plant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhoenixMomof5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: What to do with a baby pumpkin plant? Reply with quote

Hello! First off, I'm new to these forums. I have some minor gardening experience. I had an above ground garden in the past and grew lettuce, broccoli, carrots and snap beans with pretty decent success. I even had some corn plants starting and they were doing well. Then we moved to a new home over a year ago and I haven't not gotten a garden started since, but want to.

My question is this: My daughter's class studied pumpkins a couple of weeks ago and planted some pumpkin seeds straight out of a pumpkin into Ziploc bags of soil. My daughter's seeds have sprouted and are growing quite well and I'd like to plant them somewhere, but I know this isn't the best time of year to plant pumpkins. I really hate to let them die though.

So what can I do with these little things to give them the best chance? There are several sprouts and they seem to be growing quite rapidly. I have concrete blocks that I could build an above ground planter with in my yard. Would doing that and tenting it with plastic be sufficient to get these baby plants through the winter? Or do I need to put them in a very large pot and keep them indoors?

Let me know if you want me to post a picture of them and thank you so much for any help and advice you can offer!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. This is actually a great time to plant things in Phoenix. Pumpkins can take temperatures into the mid 20s so you should have no worries about them freezing here. I wonder if you will have super sized pumpkins by the Fall? I haven't tried pumpkins myself. I think your biggest challenge will the whiteflies in July, but I'm not sure. Let us know how it goes. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: