Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Coffee, Achachairu & Jackfruit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Coffee, Achachairu & Jackfruit Reply with quote

I thought I would share some of the more experimental plants I am trying outside. The coffee plants have been in the ground two years without being covered and the Jackfruit and Achachairu have been in the ground one year without issue. The coffee grows quickly while the other two are not as prolific yet. I am curious if there are any other rare tropicals gardeners in the southwestern desert are trying? Let me know because I am always interested in trying new oddball plants.

IMG_0097.jpg
 Description:
Coffee Plant (The fence helps thwart an overambitious chipmunk)
 Filesize:  4.14 MB
 Viewed:  790 Time(s)

Coffee Plant (The fence helps thwart an overambitious chipmunk)

IMG_0099.jpg
 Description:
Achachairu & Jackfruit
 Filesize:  3.93 MB
 Viewed:  774 Time(s)

Achachairu & Jackfruit

IMG_0098.jpg
 Description:
Arabica Coffee Plant
 Filesize:  2.86 MB
 Viewed:  751 Time(s)

Arabica Coffee Plant

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achachairu. That is a new one for me. I have Garcinia intermedia, a relative, also known as Lemon Drop Mangosteen, growing in a pot. It is not growing much. It seemed to get real unhappy during the cool weather in the winter.

I have grown Jackfruit from seed in a pot. It grew great in the summer but almost died during the winter. I never let it be exposed to freezing temperatures but it did not do well during cool weather.

Thanks for the great photos.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!! I hadn't ever even heard of Achachairu before? From what I read it sounds great.

I have tried jackfruit before, but it was directly in the ground and it looks like it was taken out my salt burn, but I could be wrong. It happened when it got in the extreme parts of the summer. I've got some seeds now, so I plan to start one in a pot, and see if I can't get it a few feet tall first, then put it in the ground with a lot of mulch and see how it does (east side of the house).
vjardin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kellogg-Briand, I'm curious if your jackfruit tree is doing well. I started 10 seedlings this spring and so far only 2 survived the summer, even though I have them in pots under shade.

If your tree is thriving, I'd appreciate if you'd share your secrets to growing them in AZ. Thanks
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even still, you Jackfruit looks very young for a 1 yr old seedling. They typically take 3-5 years to maturity.
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Sorry for not seeing the responses. I have been working out of town for a year and I have not been able to look at this forum as much as I would like. The Jackfruit is doing okay. It puts out about half-a-dozen leaves a year and generally survives. I do not know if there is anyway to make those thrive here. Mine is almost in full shade and is watered 3-4 times a week. It is in a 50-50 mix of native soil and a palm/ cactus soil. The achachairu is doing a little better and by that I mean growing faster. I have added a lemon drop mangosteen which survived with winter without a problem. It is very small and putting out a pair of red leaves right now. My ackee survived the winter outside and is putting out new growth after an initial hit. All in all, everything is doing well.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are fertilizing your plants enough with mulch compost and soil drench? I would have expected the jackfruit to grow much., much faster than the Garcinia because jackfruit is the fast growing category, while Garcinias are slow growing. To put it in perspective, jackfruit take 3 years from seed to fruit, while Garcinia take 7-8 years from seed to fruit. Garcinia do better if it lives in a pot for most of it's life, much like sapodilla or jabuticaba. I don't know if this helps, but in the fall, I'm going to be requesting seeds from jackfruit in the fall of some improved cultivars for a casual selective breeding program. My order for Mexican Garcinia (fruit is larger than achacha) seed is pending now. As for the rare stuff, the plants from Shamus O'Leary's Tropical Fruit Trees are rare enough.
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: DynaGro Reply with quote

I have shifted all of my plants onto DynaGro Foliage Pro fertilizer twice a year.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post some update pictures?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: