Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Growing miracle fruit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Growing miracle fruit Reply with quote

I recently acquired a miracle fruit, about a week ago. I am growing it in a pot on my patio, in the shade, because its so hot out now. I am also watering it with rain water. It seems to be doing okay so far. Is anyone else growing miracle fruit here, and how is it going?
Bkaus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one but after almost killing it by putting it outside I moved it inside in front of a window in addition to a CFL daylight bulb over it. I’ve had it for ~three years now and it’s about the same height as when I got it, growing very slow for me. I put it outside during a rain storm and water it with rain water or RO in addition to misting the plant often. I have been replacing the top ~3inches of the soil with peat moss every 12months and covering it with a 1in of pine bark nuggets. It flowers after being put out in the rain but it wasn't fruiting until I started to hand pollinated with a tiny paint brush. I’ve had three crops of ~12-20 berries this year, last year only one crop. The trunk is about the size of a broom handle and about 3 feet tall.

Unsweetened yogurt tastes like sweet cream after eating a berry and the look on my daughter's face was priceless by the delight she had eating the unsweetened yogurt. Very Happy
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture of the tree

M-F.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.97 KB
 Viewed:  635 Time(s)

Growing miracle fruit

Berries.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Berries.jpg
 Filesize:  160.59 KB
 Downloaded:  711 Time(s)

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Thanks for the info. It sounds like it actually fruits fairly easily. Mine is outside right now in full shade and even with 115 F temps seems to be doing fine. Not growing much but not burning either. Was it the summer sun that almost killed it, or was it during a milder time of year? Sometimes just the transition from shade to sun is too much for a plant if done quickly, no matter what the weather. What about filtered shade outside?

I definitely think I'll always keep it in a pot because everywhere I read says they need an acid soil and there is no way that can be done in the ground here. I might try filtered shade during the milder times of the year and full shade in summer. I am fertilizing with Alaska Fish 5-1-1 which is really acidic. 4.5 ph or something like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: