Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

RIP Meyer Lemon, Hello Gold Nugget Mandarin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: RIP Meyer Lemon, Hello Gold Nugget Mandarin Reply with quote

I think the meyer lemon tree took that initial frost we had pretty hard.. new growth was coming out of the soil line but being that was rootstock macrophylla growth i dug her up and took her back to lowes for store credit..

i ended up purchasing a 5.5gal gold nugget mandarin with the credit.. looks like this var is cold hardy down to 26!! and the flavor is supposed to be amazing.. and seedless too!

i ended up digging the mulberry and replanting it in the lemon's old location because that spot gets shade in winter and the mulberry is deciduous.. the mandarin was planted where the mulberry was (and prior to that where the minnola was planted) hopefully the drainage issue in this spot wont be such an issue for a tree this size.. i added more gypsum since i had the hole dug out..

after all was said and done i gave each (mulberry and mandarin) half a gal of diluted B1 (about 6tbsp per gal)

hopefully we get some good rain today to really settle everything down

i think i did pretty well for myself =)

edit: oh ya that minnola tangelo that ive since potted up is pushing out alot of new growth flushes and flowering.. lol maybe i dug her up too soon.. i think ill throw it in the 5gal pot the mandarin came in and let it grow under the canopy of my trovita orange
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a mandarin orange is a good fit for your area because they are the hardiest of citrus aside from kumquats. In fact madarins are supposed to be hardy to 20°F so maybe that 26°F number you are seeing is for the fruit.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/frostDamageChart.html
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Gold Nugget Mandarin Reply with quote

Here's a nice link on Gold Nugget Mandarin. Interestingly its a fairly late variety in contrast to the Algerian/Clementine variety that is the most common Mandarin/Tangerine here.

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/goldnugget.html
mullenium

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i guess they are usually harvested around summer.. i wonder how that will go with our summers

whats odd is that my gold nugget loquat is a late ripening var, and now this gold nugget mandarin is late as well.. maybe anything named gold nugget ripens late? lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: