Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Gold nugget mango

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Gold nugget mango Reply with quote

Found one at lowes in Scottsdale off McDowell, it was the last one they had.. And they left out the 20 dollar price banner thing assuming from the Manila seedlings, so i had them give me the grafted gold nugget for 20 instead of the reg price of 50 lol

It's still really small, only one growth point above the graft, but for the price I can't complain.. I picked up two 22 inch double walled resin planters at Costco for 20 each for the timotayo and this gold nugget... Does the inch size equal gallon size as well? So a 20inch would be 20 gallon?

My potting mix was peat, perlite, pumice, play sand, decomposed granite sand, a cup of gypsum, and compost soil

Oddly enough this mango is late ripening var, as well as the gold nugget mandarin and loquat I own haha... The gold nugget name must be the late ripening type across all plants
Dauntless

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: good find Reply with quote

What a lucky find!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A late variety mango isn't a problem because it means it will be ripening in the fall. A late variety loquat is more of problem because it most likely means it will be ripening in summer, but maybe the fruit will take the heat. Also, maybe it won't really be all that late here in AZ since "normally" February is warm and the tree might flower earlier than in California or where ever they gauged this plant.
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I know, i kick myself when I see big jim's at lowes that look pretty healthy for cheaper then what i paid for my gold nugget at tropica

i was thinking about buying a big jim at lowes, and returning the gold nugget to lowes (after digging it up) since the customer service would never know the diff between the 2

but I think my gold nugget was a 5gal, and the lowes loquats are 3.5 gal

im not sure its worth all that hassle, but than again.. i dont want to have mushy rotten fruit when the tree eventually does give me fruit..

ugh! i dunno what to do
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think just hang onto it. It will probably work out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: