Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Just found this site and wanted to introduce myself.

I've been growing tree fruit here in Phoenix for about four years now on an acre lot. Mostly a ton of various citrus and pomegranates, but I've had some success with a number of more temperate climate trees:

Apples (Golden Dorsetts, Fujis, Gala)
Peaches (Florida Prince, Babcocks)
Nectarines (Snow Queen)
Apricots (Desert Gold, Katy)
Plums (Methley)
Fig (Kadota)
Pomegranate (Fuyu)

I also have a number of hybrids on the property as well -- apriums, pluots, and this year I have a nectaplum. I'm thinking of trying out cherries next year now that Zaigler has brought two ultra low chill varieties to market.

Everything's grown well and I'm already thinking of setting up a stand at one of the local farmer's markets here in the East Valley to pay my water bill.

I'm thinking about moving on to growing tropicals. I had some limited experience with white and pink guavas that I bought from Lowes a few years ago. I wasn't too impressed with the fruit and finally let both die off in this year's frost after spending three years of agressively protecting them. I still have a Big Jim Loquat that, although it's gotten huge, hasn't produced fruit yet.

Any suggestions on a good starter variety to try that produces quality fruit? I'm thinking of trying white sapote and maybe a mango. I recentlly purchased some longans, so I'm curious to see how they'll do in pots first.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no help but welcome to the forum!
mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananas look real nice, mango is the ultimate fruit tree IMO.. but requires just as much protection as your ex-guavas..

maybe try a mulberry? or how bout Jaboticaba? they can handle the cold really good and the fruit is supposed to be amazing
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Welcome to the forum Reply with quote

You are growing some of the same fruits that I just planted. It's so nice to hear that they are thriving in the East Valley.
I did plant a Necta plum but it never leafed out so I have to wait until next Spring to replace it.
I'm trying some of the low chill cherry trees, Minnie Royal and Royal Lee on Mazzard as well as a Stella and Lapins on dwarf root stocks.

You mentioned a Fuyu pomegranate, is that maybe a Persimmon? If so, I would be interested in what you can tell me about growing persimmons here. I just bought an Izu and am still waiting for it to leaf out.

I also have 2 guavas and I'm not sure if I like the fruit or not. However, I am trying to keep them alive just to make sure and because there has been testing to see if they help with controlling the psyillid that causes Citrus greening disease.

If I had one tropical plant to try, I think that it would be a Pickering Mango. They are dwarf, so are easy to protect from the frost and are supposed to be prolific fruiting trees. People say that the fruit has a coconut flavor.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Fruits Reply with quote

I've been growing the persimmon for the past 3 years. Purchased it bare root from a northern California nursery.

It's done well. It's planted on the west side of the house, but receives afternoon shade. Didn't flower the first year and although it was prolific last year, it dropped all its fruit in August, likely due to heat stress.

We'll see how it does this year. It may need to be more agressively watered in July and August to minimize drop.

The first crops of Nectaplums are on citation rootstock, which generally doesn't do too well in our regular soil. Either you need to heavily amend it or you grow the tree in a pot.

Reid (of RSI Growers in Glendale) who grows his stuff on patented rootstock designed for calcaneous soil, probably sells the best stonefruit trees for Phoenix area conditions. He takes Dave Wilson scion wood, grafts it onto a Krymsk variant, and grows them in pots in full blazing Arizona sun. My trees have thrived in only partially amended soil and I've gotten a lot of fruit. With the proper rootstock, a deciduous fruit tree could live 20 years out here, unlike the 5 or so years which is typical for a Home Depot/Lowes California special. The same can be also said, to some extent, of citrus. The trees on Seville sour orange generally have life spans double of most trees on one of the many trifoliate stocks.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Persimmon Reply with quote

Fuyu persimmon on year 3 and pruned for this year.

Loquat in the background near beds.

per.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.72 MB
 Viewed:  901 Time(s)

Persimmon

mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that loquat takes full sun?
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full sun for most of the day. A few hours of afternoon shade. Big Jim variety.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Others... Reply with quote

Snow Queen Nectarine (front), Babcock Peach (right), Fuji (back)

fruittrees.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB
 Viewed:  911 Time(s)

Others...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: