Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Protecting your fruit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dauntless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Protecting your fruit Reply with quote

While my fruit trees are all pretty young, some have produced a little bit of fruit. The thing is that no matter what it has been, tangerines, grapefruit, asian pears, mulberries, blueberries etc, the birds have gotten pretty much everything. I tried the bird netting that you buy in the store but hate it. It is a tangled mess to deal with and while I don't want the birds getting my fruit, I also don't want to kill the birds by them getting caught in the netting and dying.
To solve this problem for some plants, my husband and I are building an enclosed garden structure that will be 30' X 50'. I hope to put some berries and a vegetable garden in there. So, what I am looking for is another alternative for the fruit trees and grapevines like a better netting or whatever.
What do you do to protect your crops?
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen motion activated water sprayers that sense animals and sprays water at them to scare them away. Might be an option.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that cd's hanging from strings on my peach tree works fairly well. They rotate and throw reflections around which spooks the birds and really slows them down but doesn't completely stop them.

It works well enough that I get plenty of fruit though. The only drawback is that the strings break from constantly being twisted and need to be replaced every few weeks. Maybe if you used something more tough like fishing line it would last longer.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: CD's and water Reply with quote

Those are both good ideas. I may have to use a varied approach since I have so many fruiting trees and shrubs scattered throughout my yard.

I don't mind sharing with the birds but I would like some for my family to eat too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: