Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Anyone growing the custard apple (Annona reticula ) in Phx?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troys123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone growing the custard apple (Annona reticula ) in Phx? Reply with quote

Just received my 5ftr (San Pablo red custard apple) from Plantogram and a barbados cherry Very Happy any tips as far as fertilization / growing needs.

I planted my 5ft seedling Cherimoya 2 weeks ago in a mix of clay/ fresh pine mulch from a tree that was cut down and shredded/ large grit sand /
Goat manure and Gypsum on a raised bed w/ great drainage Ne/ side of my house.

Next to plant is this custard apple and my Honeyheart cherimoya (grafted)

Anyone growing and fruiting annonas that could provide tips/ experience
i would appreciate

Thanks
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Interesting how you are really getting exotic with the soil. On the other hand, I have been getting more simple, using less compost and planting things in plain old native AZ dirt. Stangely enough the plain old dirt method actually seems to work well, maybe even better than mixing a bunch of stuff in.

However, top dressing with compost definitely still seems beneficial for some plants. I'm just not sure planting with compost is better, and might even be detrimental in some cases. For example, it seems that with papayas you do not want to plant with compost because it tends to make the soil hold too much water and can lead to root rot.

I am currently growing 3 Annonas. My atemoya which you are familiar with. My main recommendation with that is to cut way back on the water in winter when it is dormant. My atemoya is on a grass schedule, but in winter I cap that bubbler and water it on a citrus schedule or even a bit less than that, by hand.

I have another annona seedling that I got from Saul. Its struggling. I didn't water it for a while, and the leaves really died back. I think it is an annona senegalensis based on his description of the fruit and the way the leaves look. I'm hoping if it makes it to spring it will finally take off.

My other annona is a sugar apple. It is doing well, but is a slow grower. Its right up next to the house and got a little nipped by the frost a couple of weeks ago.

Very Happy
Ghost of a Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Sugar Apple Reply with quote

To phoenixtropicals and anyone else who has grown Sugar Apple:

I saw your old post from Dec. 2010 and am interested in hearing more about your experience with growing Annona squamosa.

I got a Sugar Apple seedling about a month ago and am currently growing it indoors as a container plant, especially since it is still so small (in a 1 gallon pot, about 2 1/2 feet tall.)

I am a newbie on this site, having just joined in order to learn more about how to grow my Sugar Apple. I have received some info from, and am in communication with, the nursery in Florida who sent my seedling. But of course the conditions there are very different, and I would really appreciate having someone to advise me who knows about growing them here! Especially since I am not at all an expert gardener and have never grown a tropical tree before. But I am committed to learning about my tree and doing my best to keep it healthy.

How is your tree doing now? Have you gotten any fruit from it?

I am thinking about joining The Arizona Rare Fruit Growers also - are you a member? And if so, do you know of others in that group who are growing Sugar Apples?

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting you should ask me about sugar apples because I just planted a new one that I also ordered from Florida about 2 weeks ago. It is in the ground on the east side of my house and I have temporarily put it in full shade using some big green recycle barrels, with rocks in the barrels so they don't fall over. Planting anything here in the summer pretty much requires full shade. I'll take the shade away in the fall so then it will only get afternoon shade. By next summer it should be good with a half day of sun. It is already putting on new growth.

I previously had a sugar apple in the same spot for years. However, that one grew so slowly and eventually died about a month ago. It even grew slowly when it was in a pot in the house. I think it was just one of those plants that just happens to not be very vigorous. For example, I recently grew a bunch of guavas from seed in separate pots. They all got the same treatment, yet one of them never took off. It just lingers there while the others are becoming large bushes.

I also have a fairly large atemoya, a cross between a sugar apple and a cherimoya, which has been in the ground for years and grows fairly well and flowers almost all summer, but has failed to set any fruit.

So, the whole annona family is really still an experiment for me. I wish I could tell you I've gotten some fruit but still haven't. I think a sugar apple is the best bet out of all the trees in that family. They are even supposed to fruit well in a pot, and even without cross pollination I believe.

You should check out my article on growing atemoyas for a general idea of how to grow a sugar apple. If you do put it in the ground, the safest place from frost is right up under the eave of your house. The east side of the house is also good to avoid afternoon sun in the summer.

I doubt you need to keep your plant indoors. Full shade outside should be fine and early morning sun would be even better.

Yes, I am definitely a member of AZRFG. Nobody has brought a home grown sugar apple to a meeting yet, so maybe you can be the first.

Let us know how it goes. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: