Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

dragon fruit cutting question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: dragon fruit cutting question Reply with quote

after the winds lastnight i went out to check on my plants, one of my cuttings from over the winter looked like it was flopped over so i inspected it and the internal stem that grows inside the dragon fruit 'arms' looked like somehow it pulled out?

its hard to explain

the dragon fruit cutting seemed like it slid up that internal stem causing it to flop over, i tried to push the green part back down so the stem would go back inside but in turn snapped that stem.. so now I have the green part of a dragon fruit with about 3 nodes growing vertical, and the stick stem part with all the roots on the end.. i planted them both back in the same pot and just going to see what happens

has anyone had that happen before?

I was reading online and ppl say to cure your cutting for a week before planting them, is that to dry the internal stem up to make it so it doesnt slide around the inside of theplant? cuz this cutting i just planted it right away
Hyperfalls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me before. I believe the cause is rotting from overwatering, the green part that was once there has rotted away. Make sure you keep the soil dry or else the cutting can rot. Leaving it out for a couple days for the end to dry will also help.

I like to water my cuttings every 1-2 weeks, and that has given me success. Once the plant is pretty large and has a fully established root system it should be okay to water more.

Some cuttings should also be able to survive it so don't give up yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: