Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Watermelons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bacchus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Watermelons Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and to gardening, but have been gardening for a few months now. I planted some watermelons in the spring and they're fruiting at the moment. However, a few of the fruits developed dark rots at the flowering end and cracked prematurely before they get very large. As a result of the fruits cracking prematurely, the largest fruit I have in my garden is about the size of an small/average cantaloupe. I'm not sure if it's the hot weather that's causing the crack or if it's some kind of mineral deficiency. Any info/advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Additional info: I water everyday due to the heat picking up recently. I know watering everyday isn't recommended and is a waste of water, but all my plants seem to wilt and appear water stressed/deficient when I skip a day. Please advise.
Ava

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps you got "sugar babys" watermelons, they only get the size
of a canaloupe, and they are so good, just right for one person Smile

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bacchus. I have heard that watermelons will split if they are overwatered. I haven't had that happen to me though, and grow them almost every year. I recommend you try watering them less often. Even well watered plants will droop a bit during the hottest part of the day here. Its because the roots have troubles keeping up with evaporation.
Bacchus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ava wrote:
perhaps you got "sugar babys" watermelons, they only get the size
of a canaloupe, and they are so good, just right for one person Smile

I thought that was the case, but they're the Sugar Bowl variety and are supposed to get anywhere from 20-25 pounds.
You're right though, those "personal watermelons" are delicious.
Bacchus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoenixtropicals wrote:
Hi Bacchus. I have heard that watermelons will split if they are overwatered. I haven't had that happen to me though, and grow them almost every year. I recommend you try watering them less often. Even well watered plants will droop a bit during the hottest part of the day here. Its because the roots have troubles keeping up with evaporation.

That could be the case. I'll water every other day and see how it goes.

I also found a video on YouTube that seems to describe the problem I have, but with a bit more severity. Here is the link to the video incase anyone here have the same problem. In any case, I'll cut down on the watering and see how it goes. If the problem persists, I'll try adding calcium. I will report back to this thread in a few weeks regarding the results. Many thanks to both for the quick replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: