Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Mango Skirt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Mango Skirt Reply with quote

Well, there was a freeze warning last night. It ended up being a false alarm for my neighborhood though. It never got below 40 here. However, I covered the lower part of my mango trees just to be safe. They look like they are all dressed up for the ball... ha ha. BTW, that is an allspice between the two mango trees.

mangoSkirt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.7 KB
 Viewed:  12111 Time(s)

Mango Skirt

Dauntless

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Allspice and Mango Reply with quote

Nice mango trees. I only have one Glenn and it is about 4 feet tall.
Right now I have it in a N-Sulate covered structure and inside that I have C-9 Christmas lights on a frame that I made for around the base.
I also have one just like it on my Starfruit tree. I hope that protects it. After reading about the Starfruit that died in the big freeze, I'm kind of paranoid Smile Besides. I live in a rural area and it is usually a bit cooler here.

I notice that you don't have your Allspice covered. I have been covering mine in a set up similar to the protection that I have on my Mango and Starfruit. Maybe they aren't as sensitive as I have heard.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a good setup. Allspice is supposed to be good down to 26 F. according to Top Tropicals. I have so many trees that I have to pick which ones I care about the most, and also I pick the most sensitive first. I wasn't worried about the Allspice that night.

I went all out last night, and protected everything I could. The forecast sounded bad with Sky Harbor predicted to go down to 32 F. Fortunately, it stayed above freezing here. It only got down to 35 F. Come to think of it, since I moved here in 2000, only that night in January 2007 was cold enough to do significant damage, and I totally underestimated how cold it would get that night. So, now I play it safe, but end up wasting my time and energy most of the time. Well, at least I get exercise.

Starfruit is also supposed to be hardy to 26 F, and mine is right next to the house, so I don't protect it. I am having a very different experience with the starfruit I have now verses the seedling I had before. It is a steady grower. The variety is call Sri Kembangan. It hasn't fruited yet, but I've only had it for a little less than a year. I'll put an article on the website about it once it fruits.
mariolo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can u post pics of update on your mangos
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are doing well. I'll post some soon.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Mango Trees New Photo Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my mango trees this morning. They have increased in size. Looking at my old photo I see that my Allspice tree, the little one between the mangoes, has actually gotten smaller. It froze back 2 winters ago and is so slow growing so that it takes forever to recover. The Allspice is slightly more frost tolerant than the mangoes, but much less vigorous. You can also see how I put about 6 inches of mulch around my trees. It really seems to be good for them.

mangoTrees.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  139.39 KB
 Viewed:  10995 Time(s)

Mango Trees New Photo

myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look super healthy - the mangos - PT!
Let's see how they fair over the winter -
while you cover them when frost threatens?

myamberpooch
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are too big to cover completely but I'll cover the lower half if it looks like a freeze is likely. If things look really horrible I'll put an incandescent bulb inside the cover as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: