Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

I have been super mulched

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: I have been super mulched Reply with quote

I had a landscaping company drop this huge load of mulch off in my front side yard the other day. I have been wheel barrowing it back to my trees in my back yard since. They don't charge for the mulch or delivery because it saves them money because they don't have to go pay to dump it in the landfill.

It is all nicely chipped up and contains a mix of green and brown mulch. I was told the source of this mulch is sisso, mesquite, and palm trees. Seems like really good stuff.

mulch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.49 KB
 Viewed:  12530 Time(s)

I have been super mulched

Bkaus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thnking about having that done at my place but that is a really big pile! I need a bigger yard Smile On craigslist there is a guy that will drop 10,000 pounds of much on your yard or many pounds do you think your pile is?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I really have no idea. I should have asked them that when they dropped it off. I am half way through moving it though. Very Happy
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...there is no way that is 10,000 pounds! Maybe a couple thousand at the most - course it depends on how moist it is.....

PT - GREAT idea, I should see who in Palm Springs might offer a a free dumping like you did. I'd been thinking of getting a small $170 shredder from Lowes (or was it home depot) that takes up to 1 1/2" diameter branches. I've got a large mesquite tree I trim a couple times a year along with a long hedge and other stuff. Might come in handy as I HATE filling multiple trash barrels with my trimmings and dragging them out to the curb. Seems silly.....Where did you find this guy/landscape company?

How deep you laying it down? And do you know if it still has the ability to burn plants or their trunks at this point?

myamberpooch
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's probably a couple 1000 pounds at most.

I bought a shredder recently too. It's a Sun Joe chipper apprxox. $150. It seems to work okay but really the opening is fairly small. It really is 1.5" max. Don't be fooled by the look of the devices in that price range on the web. They bevel out the plastic end to make it look like it has a 6" opening or something like that but its actually a narrow slot with a 1.5" hole at one end.

I think its the best you can do though without moving up the real expensive gas powered ones. I'm still debating whether it was worth it but it seems like it will work on my bougainville and my lime trimmings. Both of those are too thorny to just put the branches on the ground without creating a hazard. Haven't really had a chance to break it in yet. Just tried it on some branches. It's kind of pain to feed because of the small opening. HD here didn't sell it. Had to mail order it.

I'm putting the mulch down about 2 inches deep. Even though there is a fair amount of green in it, at that depth it seems to stay cool.

Found the tree trimming company in the phone book.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, PT - especially for the news on the tiny opening on the mini-shredder - sounds incredibly disappointing and impossibly small to even use. I'll have to check out my local landscapers. maybe even check out Craig's list.....

I'm sure your plants will thank you for this wonderful gift. Too bad you couldn't have gotten this like 3 months ago! But better later than never...

myamberdog
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Tree mulching now Reply with quote

Here is how my tree mulching is looking now. It really seems to be keeping the trees healthier. It's kind of hard to see in this photo that it is 6 inches deep. I piled extra mulch in various spots and spread it out as the mulch I have distributed degrades and thins. You can see a pile in the background in this photo.

I have also adding any tree trimmings, grass from the mower, and kitchen vegetable food leftovers, to my mulch layer. I am not putting anything in my green barrel for the city anymore.

mulch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.84 KB
 Viewed:  12172 Time(s)

Tree mulching now

myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say they look great! I think mulching in the desert is sooooooooo
necesary for good plant health!

I've decided to get a half load of mulch from a local gardening guy instead
of buying this tiny little shredder thingy.....now I've got to find his ad again.....

myamberD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: