Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Please help me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Citrus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Please help me! Reply with quote

I just moved into my house in the past year so I don't know how to take care of citrus trees or how old these trees are. My orange tree seems to be taking a turn for the worse and I don't know what to do. I went to my local nursery and they gave me some fertilizer that I put on around september last year and some 1st step soil acidifier. They told me this would solve the yellowing leaves.

My tree did produce fruit, about 20 VERY large oranges that were picked a bit after christmas. They were good Very Happy. However about half way through the production of the fruit I started to notice the tree seemed.. bare. I could see the middle of the tree which I don't remember seeing before. Since I haven't had a tree like this before I thought it might be because all the energy of the tree is going into the fruit production... But I think I'm wrong. Haha.

We water everyday for 15 minutes in the backyard. It used to be 15 minutes twice a day but my husband recently changed it. (Recently as in a few days ago). I was thinking the tree was being over-watered but the lemon and other orange beside it are doing great.

Here are some pics.

The lemon is on the left and the orange is on the right.

It's looking, sad.

Oh hello inside of tree.

Some of the leaves are turning yellow like this.

Some of them have brown spots like this. I looked very close and the spots seemed to be inside the leaves, not on top.. but maybe it's aphids. I honestly have no idea.

I really don't want to lose this tree and would like all the help I can get. I feel pretty helpless. Thanks.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are watering too much. You should be watering no more than once every two weeks this time of year. However, when you do water you should water them heavily. It is best to create a watering basin around them so that they can be flooded when you water.

It kind of sounds like you have them on a real frequent drip irrigation which will keep them wet all the time, which is not good.

Also, soil acidifier is not necessary on citrus. The guys at the nursery didn't know what they were talking about.

You really don't need to fertilize citrus much either. The most important thing is to water them correctly. See the article on the website for a complete explanation.

http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/citrus.html

Your citrus don't look too bad yet so they can still be saved. Overwatering will eventually kill a citrus.
milk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PhoenixTropicals for answering my question. I just have a few more. If I'm overwatering then how come the tree was fine last year and the lemon is still fine? I believe you when you saw I'm over watering.. I'm just curious as to why the tree is just showing signs of being over watered now.

Also, will it shock the tree at all if I just stop watering it? Or will it be happy that I've finally stopped trying to drown it?

Thanks again.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over watering causes the trees roots to rot which is a slow process. Yes, I think you can cut back your watering frequency right away, especially this time of year when the weather is mild. If you starting cutting back during summer it would be a different story, and I'd recommend easing off, but this time of year go straight to every two weeks. Your plants will be stronger come summer because of it.

Also, root rot takes a while to kill a citrus and so it also takes them a while to recover from it. It could be many months until your plants get a lot darker green and start growing. Sure, you'll get a little growth in the spring but it will probably be weak.

Healthy citrus are a very dark green, and a healthy lemon tree will grow so fast you can barely keep up with it. Lemons and grapefruits are more vigorous than other citrus and will not decline as easily.
shanemartin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Cosmetic Surgery in Mexico Reply with quote

hello friends...now PV medical directory open in Maxico for you and your family care in vacations.we have all type doctors,hotels,dentist,tours,Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico and,restaurants pharmacists to veterinarians.you find we give best service in Mexico....Health insurance in Mexico
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Citrus All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: