Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Burying your plants in mulch before a freeze

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Burying your plants in mulch before a freeze Reply with quote

I would like to share an interesting lesson I learned this last freeze. I have a bunch of mulch in my yard that I had a landscaping company dump for me last summer. Before the 4 days of freezing temps, I bent two small guava trees to the ground by putting rocks on them and buried them under a foot of mulch. They stayed that way for all 4 days, and the temps for at least two nights were down to 27°F for several hours. Guess what! No damage at all.
mariolo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an easy method to use. Thanks for the tip Laughing
Bkaus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will need to remember this one Smile
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the same in our high tunnel with tomatoes and peppers. Burried them under leaf mulch and they survived lows in the teens for a week. Solid method.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm....very interesting - had heard that being done. Guess you need lots of mulch and a "bendable" plant....

myamberdog
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Seems to work best when the plant can be "plastered" down to the ground. I also did this with plants I couldn't bend over and it doesn't seem to work as well when your pile starts to get taller and more cone like.

I have also found that squishing a plant to the ground with an old bed spread works remarkably well too. Take the same bedspread and drape it over the plant with some kind of structure underneath and it helps but doesn't work near as well as the all the way to the ground method.

The pile of mulch method also helps to save the bases of trees. For example, if you have a large guava that can't be bent over. Well, you can at least bury the lower 2 feet in a layer of mulch and it will recover much faster than if it froze all the way to ground level. If you can manage to bury some lower branches with leaves even better. Trimming your cold sensitive trees to make them bushy instead of trying to make shade trees out of them will help with this as well as making them more freeze tolerant in general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: