Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Tropical Fruit Garden

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Tropical Fruit Garden Reply with quote

I love growing tropical plants in the Phoenix area and I thought I would show some of the plants I have that are not currently on the forum including an avocado with unusually large leaves. I have dozens of tropical plants. If anyone is interested, I can post more pictures.

IMG_0312.jpg
 Description:
Huge Fuerte Avocado Leaves. I do not know why these are two to three times the size of normal leaves.
 Filesize:  2.67 MB
 Viewed:  696 Time(s)

Huge Fuerte Avocado Leaves.  I do not know why these are two to three times the size of normal leaves.

IMG_0296.jpg
 Description:
One of two Cinnamon trees. This is the Cassia.
 Filesize:  2.4 MB
 Viewed:  680 Time(s)

One of two Cinnamon trees.  This is the Cassia.

IMG_0313.jpg
 Description:
Arabica Coffee Tree
 Filesize:  2.11 MB
 Viewed:  666 Time(s)

Arabica Coffee Tree

Bkaus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking plants, have they been in the ground very long? I’m all for seeing more of your plants Very Happy
mariolo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellog briand- welcome to the forum. We would love to see your other trees. Aslo tell us how you planted them. If u fertilize them or what you use
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to Posts Reply with quote

The Fuerte, Coffee, and Cassia have been in the ground about a year. The new plants I am experimenting with are a Cashew, a Bilimbi Cucumber Tree, and a Huilboerboon. I live in an area of Phoenix that does not go below freezing, so I have a little more leeway. Although it has hit 32 degrees twice since I moves here in 2001.

As far as planting, the ground is dug out everywhere there is white rock. Is is 18 inches deep by the wall and about three feet deep in the middle. Digging this out was a massive undertaking back in 2007. The soil is half native soil and half palm-cactus mix. The native soil was sifted to remove any rocks larger than a small pebble. I only fertilize the citrus, pomegranates, bananas, and a cocktail plum tree. Everything but the bananas receives basic Miracle Grow. The bananas get Miracid (30-10-10).

IMG_0314.jpg
 Description:
Front view of the Tropical Garden
 Filesize:  3.75 MB
 Viewed:  711 Time(s)

Front view of the Tropical Garden

IMG_0315.jpg
 Description:
Mexicola Grande Avocado that is now over seven feet tall. I am looking down on it from a hill.
 Filesize:  4.14 MB
 Viewed:  770 Time(s)

Mexicola Grande Avocado that is now over seven feet tall.  I am looking down on it from a hill.

IMG_0297.jpg
 Description:
Cashew Tree
 Filesize:  3.13 MB
 Viewed:  693 Time(s)

Cashew Tree

Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Bananas Reply with quote

It is difficult to make bananas attractive in Phoenix; however, if you protect the plant from the elements, it is possible. I mail-ordered all the bananas from Florida. They were less than a foot tall when they arrived. Unfortunately, all the pictures I have are older. Furthermore, I wanted to thank the individuals who welcomed me to the site. I apologize for not doing this in the first response.

IMG_0308.jpg
 Description:
In addition, this is the first time my Cocktail Plum Tree has bloomed in three years.
 Filesize:  1.88 MB
 Viewed:  665 Time(s)

In addition, this is the first time my Cocktail Plum Tree has bloomed in three years.

IMG_0223.jpg
 Description:
Goldfinger Banana. It still resides in the same place; however, it was damaged by hail yesterday.
 Filesize:  2.66 MB
 Viewed:  680 Time(s)

Goldfinger Banana.  It still resides in the same place; however, it was damaged by hail yesterday.

IMG_0083.jpg
 Description:
Praying Hands Banana. This banana is now poolside. I added the white rocks later when indigenous wildlife would not leave my berms alone.
 Filesize:  2.32 MB
 Viewed:  664 Time(s)

Praying Hands Banana.  This banana is now poolside.  I added the white rocks later when indigenous wildlife would not leave my berms alone.

MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Kellogg - great work.

I'm wondering exactly what kind of area in Phoenix you live in that
has seem 32 only twice in the last 12 years. I happen to live in Palm Springs - a kind if sister city to you guys, weatherwise - and we've had in the mid to upper 20's a few times during that spell.

Do you cover these plants in the winter and with what? Any mango trees in your collection? Love the cinnamon and cashew trees - what would be your most sensitive plant in your opinion...

thanks, myamberpooch
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to myamberdog Reply with quote

I live on South Mountain in Ahwatukee. By most accounts, this area should be running a few degrees cooler than Sky Harbor at night. However, my experience at the house is that it is consistently 2-3 degrees warmer at night. I can postulate on why I have not experienced freeze damage. I happen to live on top of a ravine that is considerably colder than where the house is on the hill. I believe the cold air is forced downward and the warm air upward creating more temperate weather at night. Furthermore, the temperature rises rapidly once the sun breaks in the morning.

I do cover the plants that are supposedly damaged at 32 degrees such as the bananas, the plumeria, the coffee tree, and the cashew. During the cold streak this January, the bougainvillea trees defoliated; however, there was no damage. They already leafed out and those purple blooms are all over the yard. It takes about an hour to pick up the darn things.

Currently, I have an Ataulfo Mango seedling. I had a grafted Philippine Mango for about 4 years. In its second year, it developed six perfectly formed fruits. It took about three garden stakes to keep that tree upright. Anyway, it fully developed the fruit and never recovered (the fruit tasted like a good Granny Smith apple with a soft texture). In two years after it fruited, it never developed another leaf and did not grow an inch.

The Cashew and the Bilimbi Cucumber Tree seem to be the most sensitive. The Bilimbi, which is supposedly related to the Starfruit tree, has new growth sprouting from the trunk. When it leafs out, I’ll post the pictures. Right now, it’s just a stick. Also, the cinnamon seems to be a very strong tree. I have a Cassia and a Ceylon and they are leafing out on the same schedule as the citrus and the avocados. I know the cinnamon takes at least 32 degrees and at least 115 degrees in the summer. Keep in mind that I use a shade structure in the summer. The cinnamon has not endured full sun yet.

IMG_0195.jpg
 Description:
Ataulfo Seedling with the old Philippine Mango in the background.
 Filesize:  3.17 MB
 Viewed:  726 Time(s)

Ataulfo Seedling with the old Philippine Mango in the background.

IMG_0318.jpg
 Description:
This is the ravine behind the house, and one of the reasons I believe the yard stays warmer.
 Filesize:  4.51 MB
 Viewed:  738 Time(s)

This is the ravine behind the house, and one of the reasons I believe the yard stays warmer.

myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well KB - no one can argue with experience. I know...I should say I believe that I do get the cold drain that you are talking about in my yard as we are right next to the mountain, and my temps are consistently 3-5 degrees above our forecasted lows over the winter. Guess you got lucky....

Good luck with everything - I'll have to think about getting a cinnamon plant...just love that smell.....

myambermango
Sardonic_007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang! I live in the tuk too, in the middle if a street that slopes nicely and my yard is ten feet higher than my neighbors. I also assumed my house would be warm but two of my guavas- both covered - froze to the ground. Everything else either was sleeping (poms, stone fruit) or came out okay.

I'm curious where you live in ahwatukee or if you're up the hill a bit where the cold air goes past you into my yard! I'm near mtn pt school.

Cool yard! Really neat stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: