Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Anyone growing Gogi Berry?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Anyone growing Gogi Berry? Reply with quote

Picked up a 4" plant from a farmer market last summer when in CA. It produced four little berries on it before winter. I was surprised when researching the plant that is has a growing Zone of 4-10.

Anyone growing Gogi Berry?
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew it for a few years. Did ok -- needed as much water as grapes to fruit. Didn't care much for the berries so I pulled it and replaced it with Golden Muscat.
Amadioranch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a bush. Likes to sucker from the root alot. I understand the berries are supposed to be a superfood, not super tasty. But does real well in our heat. Im gonna keep mine.
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajbcirc wrote:
I grew it for a few years. Did ok -- needed as much water as grapes to fruit. Didn't care much for the berries so I pulled it and replaced it with Golden Muscat.

I like your thought process of planting something that you like better to replace a less liked fruit.

I'm doing the same with a lemon tree and Az sweet tree. taking them down to make more room for Loquat's and Sapote's
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amadioranch wrote:
We have a bush. Likes to sucker from the root alot. I understand the berries are supposed to be a superfood, not super tasty. But does real well in our heat. Im gonna keep mine.

Is your plant very big and does it produce a lot of berry’s? My only about a foot but it’s really liking the spring weather and growing like made. The fruit isn’t very sweet but I did like the mild watery fruit taste.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bkaus wrote:
ajbcirc wrote:

I like your thought process of planting something that you like better to replace a less liked fruit.

I'm doing the same with a lemon tree and Az sweet tree. taking them down to make more room for Loquat's and Sapote's

Best to do it when they're scraggly looking or dormant. It's hard to pull a plant that looks good or is fruiting, irregardless of the quality of the fruit. (grin)

I only have so much space and so many water lines (my lines are mostly PVC, not polytube so it's not as easy for me to shift things around), so every fruit tree or shrub needs to work for me or it has to go.
Bkaus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so true I've been going to cut down the lemon tree for over a year and still haven't done it.
Sardonic_007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goji berries are easy and near impossible to kill once established. I neglect mine and it does fine. Fruit is okay at best, wait until the berries are huge, and they still aren't great. I believe they are a complete protein making them a superfood but I could be wrong on that.

Either way they suck to pick but if you make the effort, they do well in smoothies where their flavor isn't the emphasis. Add bananas and Oj and goji and they aren't bad!

Mine is in a pot where it only gets afternoon sun and its fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: