Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Manila Mango - Just ate my first

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Manila Mango - Just ate my first Reply with quote

I just ate my first Manila Mango today. It tasted great! The summer heat here seems to produce a really nice tasting mango. I saw it on the tree and its color had taken on a little bit of an orange tint, in addition to the yellow color it has been for a couple of weeks. I went to see if it felt soft and it fell into my palm.

manilaMango.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  62.33 KB
 Viewed:  22146 Time(s)

Manila Mango - Just ate my first

Roberto_G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which mango tasted better? Both varieties look delicious!!
Roberto_G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which mango tasted better? Both varieties look delicious!!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were both really good. I expected to like the Keitt more because I usually like a little more acidity in a mango (sweet with a tart edge is my idea of perfection), but they were both so sweet that they were actually quite close in flavor. For my kids and wife, the sweeter the better, so I think these mangoes were perfect for them. I think I'll pick my next Keitt a little while before complete ripeness, and let it ripen for a while on the counter. You just gave me an idea, I think I'll go pick one right now. I have one that is very close but not quite falling off stage yet.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have both of these variety of mango's in your yard? How big are they? Are they grafted?

I would love to get some mango's growing.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have both varieties. They Keitt is grafted. I cannot see the graft point on the Manila, but that variety is polyembryonic, which means it can come true from side 75% of the time or something like that. The Manila is a La Verne nursery originated tree. They supply a lot of the fruit trees sold locally here. Judging on the quality of the fruit, I think I got a genetic copy of the parent.

You can see a picture of the Keitt on the mango page in the website by clicking on the picture of a hanging mango. Its about 4 feet tall. The Manila is about 6 feet tall. This is the third summer for both trees, which were both planted in early spring.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've heard of la verne.. alot of the people from the local CRFG group buy from them. I went to the meetings a few times about 5+ years ago.. but my schedule is pretty crazy with family and school.

Have you been a member of the CRFG's group for awhile? What's your name (perhaps we've met?).

Back on the mango topic, I have a seedling I just put in a pot a few weeks ago that has sprouted. I'm 90% sure it's a Keitt variety.. I'd like to get it in the ground soon, but it's REALLY hot right now.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to the meetings and I've been a member since 2000. I didn't go to meetings for years because of my schedule, but I've been going more regularly lately. I think we've met before. My name is Matt Keller. I wouldn't bother growing a seedling mango. One that was given to me by Dick Gross has been in the ground 8 years and has yet to fruit. Also, your chances of getting a nice fruit from a seedling is fairly low no matter what the parent was. I have 3 mango trees total, Keitt, Manila, and Seedling. The seedling is the oldest. Its trunk is getting fairly massive these days.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may have met...

I'm wanting to grow the seedling to graft too. Smile I wasn't worried about the fruit it has native.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: grafting mangoes Reply with quote

I've tried grafting to my seedling twice with no success. I tried both a chip and a cleft. No luck, even though the cleft stayed green for months. I have successfully grafted an apricot to my peach tree and that was easy. I've also had lots of success with budding citrus. Evidently mangoes are not that easy. I saw a demo on the web once, but they were using a really large scion. Maybe that is the trick.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, drop me mail at my email address, you have it now.

I'd like to stop by and check out your plants some time.

As for the mango, I'd just be happy to see it grow. Wink

Last edited by Kyle_Davis on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Mangoes Reply with quote

Sure, Kyle. I'll drop you an e-mail. By the way. I altered your email address and put some junk in it. There are spam spiders that frequent my website and they'll send you like 1000 v1agra adds if they get ahold of your e-mail address. There is a private message option in the website that would have been better for you I think.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.. I removed the email addy all together.

I do have pretty good spam filtering with gmail though (They host my mail). Wink

So yeah, drop me mail and we'll connect..

Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: