Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Roast-O-Rama.... (now with added Video)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Roast-O-Rama.... (now with added Video) Reply with quote

Just curious how every one's tropicals did during this latest heat wave!
Here in Palm Springs, many of my mangoes, and mostly on newish/younger plants, got toasted pretty well just on the outsides (new growth) of the plant, so i feel thankful for that. I'll post some pictures in the next couple days when I get a chance to recover from my trip to Great Britain....

(ACTUALLY - I just posted a video on my last reply on this thread - take a look)

Interestingly, the large Manila has very little damage at all - another pointer to the fact that larger trees (or trees planted closely together, especially in the desert) create their own bubble of protection -
one set of leaves keeping another set a tad cooler, which keeps another set, from getting too hot...and on and on.....!

And boy it has been, hasn't it????

How you guys faring?

MyAmberDAWG

Last edited by myamberdog on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Heat Stress Reply with quote

I am not sure about Palm Springs, but the warmest it got where I am in Phoenix is 118. I changed my sprinkler settings to run daily during the hot spell and my Avocados, Coffee plants, Ice Cream Bean, Jackfruit, Cinnamon, etc... remained unfazed. They're all still growing like weeds. Good luck with your heat stressed plants. I hope you don't lose any.

Kellogg-Briand
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....it got up to 120-122 here in the Coachella Valley depending on where you are.

Thanks for your well wishes Kellogg - sounds like you made you just great!.......Gary
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree with your bubble of protection analysis when tropical trees are grown within close proximity in the desert. I have taken this to the extreme with 30 plants located within a few meters of each other; however, the resulting canopy has allowed numerous trees to thrive that may otherwise have failed. My Coffee trees, Ice Cream Bean, and Macadamia have grown about a foot since I planted them earlier this year. I am convinced that the resulting microclimate from the densely populated trees have allowed these newcomers to thrive where they would have struggled individually. Furthermore, it is amazing to feel the difference in atmosphere from the tropical fruit garden and the main yard. The humidity is higher and the temperature cooler. This approach to gardening is probably not for everyone, but I have been very pleased with the results. In the long run, I hope these plants don't crowd each other out.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microclimate - THAT's the word I was looking for!!!!!

You're little oasis sounds perfectly divine and works on this dense planting principles we've been discussing (did you get that from that "other" forum"). I do think at some point crowding will happen and you just may have to thin some things out because certainly at some point, too much shade will restrict the growth and production of some plants.....

Would love to see your setup sometime if I'm ever in Phoenix and you are always welcome to come by and see my Palm Springs acreage ( Laughing ) anytime you might be heading west, Kellogg

In the meantime, be cool!

Gary
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video I took of my yard a few days ago....let's see if I can download it....

http://youtu.be/v_VF4vt9Jjk
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mangoes look great. Two out of the six plants I have killed were mangoes, since I began this tropical fruit obsession six years ago. I never had much luck with them. It's funny that mangosteens are doing better for me than mangoes. Anyway, keep up the good work, those look great.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, KB - we had a Mango Tasting event at my house this last Tuesday. Three of my friends from L.A. area came out to sample. My Glenn and Rosigold were right at the top of their preferences. One of them brought a Florida-grown Edward - that was delicious - hope my produces at least one next year. Interestingly, my Maha Chinok (which might have been a bit under-ripe) was really a so-so tasting mango.

That's why I'm now focused on adding more Potassium and Phosphorous to the soil as my soil test showed they were quite low. Also, I'm going to get a hold of some minor elements - copper, iron, selenium and the like - to really give these mango trees a chance to show me what they can do!!!!!

Guess we'll see - hope your's are doing well this summer....yeah, interesting how a mangosteen (never tasted one) of all things is doing so well.....

myambermutt
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mangoes already look prolific, I can't imagine what they would look like with perfect soil. The mangosteens seem to take the heat well. The true mangosteen is potted, so I'll have to see how it does when it's brought inside for the winter. The achachairu (Bolivian Mangosteen) is in the ground. I'll see what kind of cold it can take. There are some accounts that it is relatively cold hardy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: