Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Status of Phoenix Trpicals Winter Mexican Avocado tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wright602

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Status of Phoenix Trpicals Winter Mexican Avocado tree Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering what the status was of your winter Mexican Avocado tree?
It seemed to be doing well back in 2009, would love an update.

I really like the website, it is really helpful. Thanks!

Cheers,
Wright602
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wright,

Unfortunately my Winter Mexican avocado died about a year ago. It was really frustrating because it did really great for many years but never seemed to recover from when I burned it with fertilizer. I have put a Mexicola in the ground near where I had the WM and it has been doing well for about two years but has been growing very slowly. It is in a spot that gets lots of shade so I think this is the explanation for the slow growth, although the extra shade helps it tremendously during summer. There is also root competition in this location from a bunch of pine trees.

However, the good news is that the Mexicola is starting to accelerate its growth so maybe it will actually start taking off at some point. As far as I can tell, the two easiest avocados to grow here that you can find at your local Home Depot are Mexicola and Mexicola Grande. Everything else just outright dies. Of course the Winter Mexican did really good for a while so I think that is also a potential winner.

Avocados are very very hard to grow here and getting good fruit from them is very rare. Interestingly I think the challenge is actually more the soil and water than the weather.

Thanks for your inquiry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: