Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

So....a mild winter.....What's happening in your yard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: So....a mild winter.....What's happening in your yard? Reply with quote

Just wanted to wake up the forum a bit and see how everyone's tropicals are doing....I'm assuming you all have had a mild winter (certainly after December) like I did here in Palm Springs, so things should be really moving now for you guys.

I've got mangoes flowering like CRAZY, clearly at least 3 weeks ahead of time......here's a little video taken of my place about 3 weeks ago so everything has gone even crazier since then....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaHjbklEStE
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Yard Update Reply with quote

That's great that your mangoes are doing so well. I'm trying one last time with a Kent and a Haden variety. The Kent is outside and the Haden is inside planted in gritty mix. Currently, all my citrus plants are in full bloom and two avocado trees are blooming. My coffee plants have doubled in size since last year and my Ice Cream Bean (Inga Edulis), Tamarind, and Macadamia trees are all growing well. Unfortunately, my deciduous plants, like the pomegranates, never went fully dormant due to the mild winter. My plumeria was the only plant to drop leaves this winter. I started an indoor collection of ultra tropical plants (Cacao, Soursop, Mangosteen, Coconut Palm etc...) last year that are all doing well. It is about fifty plants strong now, and they are all in gritty mix which was a massive undertaking. Anyway, that is a general synopsis of my tropical plants. I hope you have a ton of mangoes to enjoy this year. Happy gardening.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellogg - sounds excellent. Yes, indoor plants always seem to take
very special attention AND good luck. I'd love to grow at Coconut
Palm, tried once, but it died - but I had it outside....

Any pictures you'd like to share?

MDog
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Tropical Garden Reply with quote

My tropical plants are not as photogenic right now because they were weighed down by the rain; however, here are a few that were taken a few minutes ago. The mangoes are still very small so there is not much to show. If there is any plant you might be interested in, I'll add more pictures.

IMG_0044.jpg
 Description:
Indoor Garden, all plants in gritty mix except orchids. I used the orchids to add some color.
 Filesize:  2.13 MB
 Viewed:  779 Time(s)

Indoor Garden, all plants in gritty mix except orchids.  I used the orchids to add some color.

IMG_0041.jpg
 Description:
Ice Cream Bean approximately 4 Feet Tall
 Filesize:  2.78 MB
 Viewed:  745 Time(s)

Ice Cream Bean approximately 4 Feet Tall

IMG_0040.jpg
 Description:
Dancy Tangerine and Cara Cara Navel Orange Behind
 Filesize:  4.11 MB
 Viewed:  715 Time(s)

Dancy Tangerine and Cara Cara Navel Orange Behind

vjardin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellogg,
What's in the gritty mix that you use for your tropicals?
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Gritty Mix Reply with quote

The gritty mix is one part pine bark, one park Turface MVP, and one part granite. For the pine bark, I use Repti-bark (available at Petco, Petsmart, or Amazon.com). I get the Turface MVP from Ewing Irrigation at Chandler and Roosevelt. For the granite, I buy aquarium pebbles (river rock) from Petco or Petsmart. Walmart may have the aquarium pebbles; however, I have never checked. The mix I use is a little larger than recommended for average particle size; however, the entire mix is within the recommended range (1/8 - 1/4 inch). Note that the aquarium pebbles are around the 1/4 inch size. I tried granite (or poultry) grit which is smaller; however, I could not find it for an economical price locally. Also, I fertilize weekly with Foliage Pro.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a wonderfully mild winter here in Mesa AZ as well. I'm looking forward to lots of guavas and mangoes this year. My Keller mango is starting to bloom. A word of advice on the mangoes. Try a seedling in addition to grafted trees because they are way more vigorous. My Keitt grafted mango seems to be permanent dwarf, whereas my Keller seedling grows like crazy and even though its a seedling it has delicious fruit.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience to date, with seedlings, is a seedling Nam Doc Mai whose fruits are very different looking than the "normal" looking Nam Doc Mai - see picture of last year's fruit. See how fat it is? Although it did taste pretty close to a typical NDM......I just worry that seedlings have quite a bit of diversity from their polyembryonic parents.....happened with a couple Manila Seedlings I have as well...sooooo different when it came to their fruits....

Kellogg - nice cozy setup! What will you do when they all REALLY start to grow?

MDog

NDM Mystery 081213.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB
 Viewed:  731 Time(s)

So....a mild winter.....What's happening in your yard?

MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After last years winter I set up 2 greenhouses that I ended up not needing this winter. Oh well, everyone is happy! Let the growing commence! Smile
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video myAmberDog! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: