Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Blueberry Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Blueberry Failure Reply with quote

I planted about 10 blueberries (5 different varieties - 2 each) a couple years ago in pure peat moss and used Aluminum sulfate on occasion to keep the plants feed and in an acid condition, but at the end of this summer there was really only one left that look even remotely healthy.

Has anyone had success with blueberries in our super hot desert climate? The plants, I thought, were perfectly placed - under a couple palm trees, shaded sporadically throughout the day and fully after 3 pm (in the summer)....

Just so frustrating as I love them......

thanks, myamberwoofie
Sardonic_007

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe our water will make soil too basic. I've heard of people watering with coffee and adding coffee grounds regularly to keep soil acidic.

Also, I've never done it but I'd like to cut the bottom off of a plastic pot, and bury plant in pot into the native soil to keep roots cool. Water with coffee and a regular application of acidifiers *should* work to keep plant happy. The roots growing through into native soil hopefully will slightly acclimate but I believe the key is constant acidification.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...thanks Sardonic - I added TONS of coffee grounds, too...just would like
to hear from someone who has actually grown them successfully in our climate....and I believe you are right about our water.......

Dawg
Sardonic_007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to nit-pick, but coffee grounds are relatively PH neutral. They may be slightly acidic but not enough to really matter. It certainly isn't enough to change the overall PH of native soil/water.

The key is to water with actual brewed coffee which is acidic. The individual who I've spoken to with success, brews a large 12 cup pot of coffee a day, and then what ever is not drank is put onto the blueberries (they let it cool, not hot coffee). I thought this to be cost ineffecient but the idea remains that acidificiation of the soil is key. I suppose you could use soil sulpher too but in a pot that could be dangerous as it's easy to burn.

I kind of liken it to sysiphus in that the soil wants to be basic, but you've got to acidify it constantly.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right about CONSTANT acidification as the whole surrounding
soil AND water are heavily high PH and wanting to impose their will, so I guess I just didn't keep them acid enough. Just seems like such a chore, and brewed coffee - yes, a very expensive drink for them!

thanks,,,,,,myblueberrydog
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: another try at blueberries Reply with quote

I was lured in by some Biloxi Blueberries at Home Depot and a thread on another forum.
Amberdog, did that last healthier looking plant live? If so, what's the secret?

I planted these 3 bushes in good sized pots, in a mixture of potting soil and lots of Peat moss with some compost on top. They are in my garden enclosure and will have total western shade and 60 to 70% shade cloth on top.
Since in your post, it seems that watering is the biggest hurdle. Has anyone ever tried vinegar? I know that too strong of a vinegar solution will kill plants but I have seen a 1 cup to 1 gallon ratio suggested. Does anyone have any experience with this?
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Dauntless - that last blueberry plant succumbed last year. I really just gave up after losing all those others. I think it is ALL about soil acidification and the constant challenge that presents.

You are smart to keep them in pots - I think you'll have much better control that way. By the way - I never gave mine shade cloth and they only burned a bit above 110 degrees. I would only worry about not enough sun producing fewer flowers and fruit.....

MADog
peruviansilver
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try catching the rain water runoff from your roof and water them with that instead of tap. The rain water plus potting soil should totally put them in a environment apart from our alkaline soil and water. All you need is a nice big barrel, a good runoff spot, and a big rain storm and you'd have 6 months worth of fresh water.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Blueberries Reply with quote

MD, that's too bad, I always hate killing plants but at this point I am a serial plant killer Smile This is probably my 4th go at blueberries. Each time, I learn something new and the plants do better than the last time. Even though they have died, they lasted a little longer and looked better for longer.

As for my shade, I just have the shade cloth on the garden enclosure for when it's hot and I can have the pots positioned where they can get earlier morning sun if necessary. 2/3rds of the enclosure is in full sun and I am covering the other third.

peruviansilver, that is a good idea. Collecting rainwater is in the plans so maybe I should move on that earlier rather than later. At least for now, I could collect from my horse pen shades which is close to the garden.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: