Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Lemon tree bark cracking and peeling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbear

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Lemon tree bark cracking and peeling Reply with quote

I have a lemon tree about 20-year-old in my backyard. I trimmed the tree a lot this spring and the bark of the tree started to peel and crack from the lower truck, not in the limbs. This lemon tree has been very productive but was damaged 2 winters ago. Could anyone tell me what happened to the tree and how to treat it?

IMG_6986.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.64 MB
 Viewed:  1173 Time(s)

Lemon tree bark  cracking and peeling

IMG_6985.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.34 MB
 Viewed:  838 Time(s)

IMG_6984.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.49 MB
 Viewed:  928 Time(s)

Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Bark Splitting Reply with quote

Bark splitting by itself is not necessarily a problem; however, it may be indicative of other issues. You can type "citrus bark splitting" into your search engine and see other warning signs associated with this issue. For example, sap may be oozing from the splits. I did not see that in the picture you showed. Furthermore, a freeze can cause bark to split; however, as long as the tree is healthy, it should heal on its own. Just keep an eye out for other warning signs and you should be fine. Good luck.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess the bark was sunburned before it was painted white, so the damaged bark is now being slowly thrown away by the tree. Keep in mind that naturally citrus are big bushes, not shade trees, so when you trim them up and expose the trunk it needs to be painted white immediately. Other than the cracked bark your tree looks good, so I wouldn't recommend doing anything unusual. Trunk paint can easily be made with a mix of 50% white latex paint to 50% water.
sbear

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Originally I was thinking it might be some sort of viral infection and I need to cut it down. I will paint the bark again immediately.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, I think it's a goner...but I hope I'm wrong.
I just lost a lime branch on a citrus multigraft that looked
like that....and my old Mandarin Orange tree is slowing
dying one cracked branch at a time........

Myamberwoofster
sbear

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the viral infection, do I need to cut the tree down? This tree is 20-year-old and I am reluctant to cut it down. However, I am also afraid that the viral would spread out to the other citrus trees in my backyard.
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lemon tree looks great. I had a 20 year old oak tree when I lived in Dallas that was afflicted with a virus. The tree had a litany of maladies (including pests) and deteriorated rapidly. If you had a virus rampaging through the tree, it would be obvious, and there would be a lot more wrong than cracked bark. The site administrator gave you the most likely cause considering you "trimmed the tree a lot this spring." My citrus are in the natural shrub shape, so sunburn does not always leap to mind. Furthermore, you can look at almost any desert landscape tree and the trunks have more cracks that have healed than you can count. Painting the trunk is an appropriate precaution, so you should be fine. Don't worry too much, from the pictures you showed, your tree looks amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: