Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Fig trees like the shade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkaus

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Fig trees like the shade? Reply with quote

The Black Mission Fig under 50% shade and is doing really well with lots of Figs! Second year in the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqYbvc6uzQ4&index=1&list=UUaVhPEbsxjOyqWV4JGx9Jug
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Fig Tree Reply with quote

Your fig tree looks great. I have a Black Mission Fig also in its second year (full exposure in the summer). Did you do anything to get the bushier shape of your plant or is it naturally growing that way? Mine has a very upright habit and is already taller than all my trees except a seven-year-old Wonderful Pomegranate. The tree fit in the passenger side of my coupe when it was purchased. The Black Mission Fig seems to do very well in Phoenix. Keep up the good work, the plan looks fantastic.
Bkaus

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came more like a bush but I was reading where the Japanese will prune them intensively to fit in a desired space. How is yours doing on producing figs? I gave mine a shot of fish fert in the spring just when the first leaves were showing up and another shot a few weeks ago when the figs started showing up. The figs are twice a big as last year. Very Happy
Kellogg-Briand

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Fig Tree Fruiting Reply with quote

My fig is not prolific yet. I had a few pieces of fruit, but the birds got them all this spring. I used a 50/50 mixture of 5:1:1 fish emulsion and 0:10:10 Morobloom to fertilize the plant. The fig seems happy with that mix. I would use something stronger like Miraclegro or Osmocote Plus if I did not have a young Macadamia and Tamarind in close proximity. My fig never went into full dormancy this winter so I have a few older beat up leaves from last year but the plant is healthy.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a black mission fig tree as well. It is in full sun and I actually water it even less often than my citrus. However, there is a lantana nearby it that gets regular water so probably its getting some water from there. When I first planted it, it was about 2 feet tall and had fruits on it. However, after that it grew a lot but didn't put out fruit for about 4 years. During that time I also gave it a lot of water. After 4 years I cut way back on the water and it also started producing. I don't know if giving it too much water kept if from fruiting or if it was just an age thing.
Bkaus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting on how fruit trees do different things. The hole that the current BM fig is in had another BM fig in it for a year but our pet rabbit ate the bark off it. So my wife brought me a large 15gal tree the trunk was as big as a broom handle and put it in the same hole. I don't remember adding any fertilizer to it the first year and it was producing figs. Come to think of it the tree doesn't get very much water it's not on the irrigation line only hand water and sometimes I forget and may have watered only twice during the winter. Maybe less water is more for figs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: