Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Starfruit Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich985

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Starfruit Tree Reply with quote

Does anyone have a starfruit tree growing well in their gardens? I plan to buy one next spring from Tropicamango Exotic Fruit Tree Nursery in south phoenix.

How well does the tree grow in phoenix? Does it need full sun, or will it fruit in eastern exposure? Also, does it do okay in the winter?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no success with starfruit here. The only one I tried was a seedling that a friend gave to me. First I tried planting it in full sun and it almost died from the heat in the summer. The leaves got very burned. So, I transplanted it to a shady location and it lived but never really seemed to grow. It looked reasonably healthy for 2 years but never seemed to get any bigger. Finally, in the hard freeze we had in January 2007 it died. However, there are some people in the AZCRFG fruit club that claim to have had success with starfruit. Maybe they are growing them in pots. I'm not sure.

If anyone successfully growing starfruit in Phoenix runs into this post, let us know how you do it, and provide pictures of your plant with fruit on it. We need proof! Wink
saul4paz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: star fruit Reply with quote

I curently have a starfruit in a pot and is growing like crazy. Yes the AZRFG have people that have gotin them to fruit. From what i know they can do quit well in a continer with moring sun and with protection from freeze's when its young. Maybe when its bigger you can put it in an perfect spot in the ground. Smile
rich985

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How large is your starfruit tree saul? Also phoenixtropicals, how large was your seedling when it was killed by the frost?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: starfruit size at time of iceification Reply with quote

About a foot tall.
saul4paz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: starfruit Reply with quote

Its was a foot tall, when I got it. But i hit it with some superthive and It doubled. the last one i tride looked bad when i got it and never recoverd Ive talk to this guy at whitfield that saids he has a 10ft. one in a large pot, he said they do great in pots like a lantana or something. Plus seen a big one at the tropicalmango place too last year with fruit. It can't be any harder then pinneapples, or plumeria. The internet just has limited info on the plant, I think, other then the CRFG. Hort. Laughing

The leaves smell weird at night. Ive also seen the leaves for sale at lee lee's, maybe for some tea?

This tree naturaly looks like a BONSI Surprised

saul4paz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small 3ft Star fruit; Superthive works got it 2months ago, then it doubled. Smile

star fruit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.38 KB
 Viewed:  21158 Time(s)

Starfruit Tree

saul4paz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Starfruit or Curry Reply with quote

Embarassed I think ive been tricked; This looks like a Curry plant not like a Carambola starfruit, Im going to contact my ebay guy because i think he gave me the wrong plant!

I Confused dont like curry, And Im pritty sure this is one, It smells alot at night.

Well Im sorry everyone for bad info for starfruit, I guess that what you need for Curry plant.

Anyone need a curry plant Shocked

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry plants do look like star fruits. They grow very well here. When you grind up the leaves they have a super strong odor. For me it smells like gasoline, but a lot of people like it for food. Especially people from India.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: