Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

How far apart are you spacing your fruit trees?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: How far apart are you spacing your fruit trees? Reply with quote

Since it is a bit subjective to specific trees, let's say, mangoes, for example.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

though far from ideal, some of mine are 6 feet apart, some 8.......what can I say, I've run out of room!

Maddy
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do you prune with that spacing?

What is considered ideal in the desert?
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really had to prune yet with my 3-4 year old trees but the day is coming......I'm assuming I'll prune once each year after fruiting, at least I hope so....

M.A.D.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have two plans for the backyard on excel spreadsheets, one for 10 ft apart and another 15 ft apart.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you, Boo, for having the room to do that!
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind, here are my plans. It's a work in progress as I keep on evaluating the right cultivar, windbreaks and the like.

House Plan.xls
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  House Plan.xls
 Filesize:  116.5 KB
 Downloaded:  834 Time(s)

myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - very orchard-like....I have the Lux's Garcinia too - just little tiny 6 inch plants though. Do you really think they'll grow and do well in our climate?

Also, I've never had luck with the Solo type papayas - is this "improved" one something more conducive to our climate?

Natal Avocado - so this one does well in our climate too????

Lastly - the Chocanon mango (which is not in your plan) is the most interesting mango I have. For the first two years it flowered throughout the summer and I lost every tiny fruit to the heat. This last fall I cut off water to ALL my mangoes at Thanksgiving with the idea of forcing everything to bloom in the spring due to the drought-like conditions I was inducing (plus our cool winters) and every mango including this one, flushed flowers in great quantity. However, as mangoes formed on the Chocanon on some branches other branches stayed dormant for awhile and then they flushed florescence at least on a couple other occasions, so there is a variety of tiny to 2 inch mangoes on the Chocanon. The question will be how it tastes but it looks like it could produce fruit over an extended season....I'll let you all know as the season progresses....
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ones you mentioned are experimental. Laughing Luc's Garcinia has proven to do just the same as in colder climates over at TFR, so we could try it here.

The papaya does do well over at Jake Mace's place and it's in a pot to protect it over the winter in the garage. The improved part of the name has really no difference except the fruit has a more uniform shape in papaya growing areas.

The Nabal avocado is mostly there as a pollinator for the Aravaipa. It's really just experimental, so don't start spreading rumors that it does do well. Then again, Shamus is growing all types of avocados over at his nursery, so maybe it isn't too strange? I was also thinking of a Whitsell avocado as a pollinator since it is dwarf and can be potted.

I think it's great that Chocanon has a different flowering time, but like what other users at TFR say, mango season is something that should be cherished, so don't try to pull something. I really don't think there is a better ripening time than summer since mangos need the heat to color up and ripen and the frost kills fruit.

Even though I've read the topic at TFR whether Edgar or Edward is better, what do you think? In my plan, I've selected carrie, maha chanook, dot and edward/edgar as 'old school' mangos, with carrie and maha chanook being dwarfish and taking up less room. What do you think are good old school mangoes?
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what do you think about wind breaks. In the spot where the nabal is, I'm thinking of putting a windbreak there. a neem maybe? I'm also going to be using a windbreak for the lychee, with that being mulberry. What do you think about windbreaks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: