Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

My Phoenix Arizona Chicken Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Raising Chickens In Phoenix Arizona
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: My Phoenix Arizona Chicken Story Reply with quote

So, my daughter went to a Halloween event at Mother Nature's Farm in Mesa. Next to the cash register they had a box of baby chics. She wanted to take one home so I let her. Here is what this little chick looked like.

chicky.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.64 KB
 Viewed:  25754 Time(s)

My Phoenix Arizona Chicken Story

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Chickens grow up in only 6 months Reply with quote

Chickens must be one the fatest growing animals on the planet. In 6 months our chicken, named Chicky, was all grown up and started laying eggs. Up until about 5 months we kept her in the house in a box. She is apparently a Leghorn.

chickyBig.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  539.84 KB
 Viewed:  735 Time(s)

Chickens grow up in only 6 months

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Our chicken coop Reply with quote

We bought a chicken coop through the mail from Walmart. It cost about $400, which was much more than the chicken cost $7. We had to assemble it, but it wasn't too hard. I hope it lasts a while.

20191130_120138.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.87 MB
 Viewed:  741 Time(s)

Our chicken coop

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Our chicken lays an egg every day Reply with quote

Chicky lays an egg every day. She has decided that she wants to lay her egg on a patio chair instead of inside her coop which is real hassle. Every morning at sunup she squawks in her cage until we let her out. She acts a lot like someone that has to go to the bathroom really bad. We let her roam the yard all day. We had a little trouble with a huge hawk stalking her back in February when it was really cold out. No hawks in sight now that it has warmed up. Here is her first and second egg. The first one was really small. Second was a medium size. Now she lays eggs larger than the biggest ones in the grocery. One of her eggs was a double yolk. It was huge.

20200312_193318.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.87 MB
 Viewed:  714 Time(s)

Our chicken lays an egg every day

Last edited by phoenixtropicals on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Chickens can be a bit annoying Reply with quote

So, when chicky was small we used to put a towel on our laps to play with her because of the mess she made. She is now very towel friendly and will still come jump up on your lap if you put a towel on it. She likes to be petted but is really impulsive. She seems to give you a little peck for nothing at all quite randomly. Also, you cannot go out in the yard barefoot because she will brutalize your toes. I have no idea why she does this. We cannot hang towels on the clothes line because once again she wants to sit on it. Notice the nice big Manila Mango tree in the background. Smile

chickyOnClothesLine.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  691.4 KB
 Viewed:  725 Time(s)

Chickens can be a bit annoying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Raising Chickens In Phoenix Arizona All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: