Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

The best fruit varieties for AZ & chat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm.....NOT deciduous situation on my tree and has never been covered
and seems to handle at least the low 30's quite easily...will try to get a
pic soon and post it here...

mAd
raimeiken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starch wrote:
raimeiken,

You are growing a Dwarf Namwah banana, how is it growing? That is a cultivar that I am very interested in. Have you had it long? How has it handled the heat?

I haven't had it that long. I got a huge corm from a fellow banana grower. I don't see much growth from it yet but that's because the soil/ground isn't warm enough yet. I have talked to another banana grower here locally and she said she's had the dwarf namwah for a couple years now and she said it tolerates the heat pretty well compare to other bananas she grows.

I don't know why it's surprising that the Longans fruit here. A lot of tropical fruit trees will set fruit here if taken care of properly. Both of my trees are only about 5ft tall right now with lots of new big leaves and are actually about to start flowering again.
starch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raimeiken wrote:
starch wrote:
raimeiken,

You are growing a Dwarf Namwah banana, how is it growing? That is a cultivar that I am very interested in. Have you had it long? How has it handled the heat?

I haven't had it that long. I got a huge corm from a fellow banana grower. I don't see much growth from it yet but that's because the soil/ground isn't warm enough yet. I have talked to another banana grower here locally and she said she's had the dwarf namwah for a couple years now and she said it tolerates the heat pretty well compare to other bananas she grows.

raimeiken, Thanks for the feedback! I would love to plant a Dwarf Namwah and will definitely look to do so next season (a little to late to try to get one established now). I love the description of the fruit.

Speaking of small banana plants, I got a bunch of 'pups' from Florida Hill Nursery a few weeks ago. About 6 different varieties. They have already bounced back and are looking good. Hopefully I will have a few more varieties to go alongside my Raja Puri.
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an intro to most banana varieties (the ones that don't follow this is probably ones that have never escaped the Polynesian islands, such as fehi banana), here is a nice introduction video by TropicaMango Nursery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KSiZCHyrDc
He sells dwarf namwah and I remember him mentioning that ones of the plants in the video to be dwarf namwah.

R, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but it's just that I keep on learning that some don't do well in our climate, and then turn around to find them doing well if you nurture them, like avocado. It's very confusing and I'm starting to question other trees that don't do well. Maybe one day the definitive cold tolerance cap on stuff like African plants and jackfruit may be broken without the use of a green house.
starch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the video!
darkcoolboo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on looking for some more varieties that would be premier for the list on original post, but I think I've run out of plants to mention. If you could, can you guys review that list and give me list of fruits I haven't covered?

Again, most of these selections come by recommendation of members in both Florida and California on tropicalfruitforum.com. It is up to you to go see my other post 'CA vs. AZ: How to grow plants that like California better' to decide if some species are practical for Arizona growing. If you wish to acquire such plants, please join tropicalfruitforum.com and do some detective work and build friendships. We certainly need more more Arizona based growers on tropicalfruitforum.com. In addition, I encourage others to post here as well; there are WAY more views on our posts than the 5-6 active members.
deckrdshaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it at my local Home Depot in the fall to winter. Aside from that, I'd say it's good. A few of the less visited sites say it needs 500 chill hours, while the more reputable say 400 chill hours. IDK for Palm Springs, but we get 300-400 chill hours. Less chill hours = less fruit set, but Garden Prince has only 250 chill hours which is 100%. Also, you can grow both for more productivity if you wanted. My 'Maradol' do horribly. Though I'm sure it's a personal problem (maybe not good drainage), my Tainung #2 doubled in size, while my 'Maradol' is still the same. Also, the leaves are getting more closely spaced as time progresses. I think this winter was the nail on the coffin.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Garden Prince Almond in the ground for like 8 years. It wasn't very productive. I think the summers were too hot for it. It finally died recently. I am not that good with papayas although I have known some people that had some that looked like palm trees and grew delicious fruit. My best tropicals are really guavas and manila mangoes. My manila is almost 20 feet tall now and produces 10 to 40 mangoes a year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: