Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Grape Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steadybright

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Grape Advice Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I would like to plant a grape or two, but I've never grown grapes and would appreciate the voices of experience in choosing the best location and variety for my family.

More information:

- I live in the east valley; the soil is good--at least the weeds love it!

- The plants will be against a block wall (north, south, east, and west exposures available)

- Want sweet, tasty grapes

- Want SEEDED grapes

Your help is appreciated!

Sincerely,

sb
Little Luey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you much advice on the grapes, I just planted mine last fall so no much experience on that. But I welcome you to the forum.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The east side of a wall is best. You'll also want to have something there for the grape to climb, like a trellis. The best grapes I know of for here are the Thompson seedless, and the Flame seedless. However, you stated you want grapes with seeds. Here on some seedless varieties that might be good.

Cardinal - Clusters large to medium in size. Very large, seeded, cherry red berries become reddish black with maturity. Use for arbor or summer house. Spur pruned.

Exotic - Berries are black, large, seeded, crisp and sweet. Berry irregular to oval in shape and has large clusters. Ripen in July. Spur pruned.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The east side of a wall is best. You'll also want to have something there for the grape to climb, like a trellis. The best grapes I know of, off hand, for here are the Thompson seedless, and the Flame seedless. However, you stated you want grapes with seeds. Here on some seedless varieties that might be good.

Cardinal - Clusters large to medium in size. Very large, seeded, cherry red berries become reddish black with maturity. Use for arbor or summer house. Spur pruned.

Exotic - Berries are black, large, seeded, crisp and sweet. Berry irregular to oval in shape and has large clusters. Ripen in July. Spur pruned.

http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1269/
Steadybright

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: where To Order/Buy? Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice. I have a good spot selected--and a good grape (I hope) as well.

My new quandary is where to find the grape plants! Any suggestions for me?

Thank you!

sb
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Shopping For Grape Vines Reply with quote

You should try your local nurseries and Home Depot, Lowes etc. They actually have a lot in stock this time of year.
psimitry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with the grape question, I'm curious if anyone knows anything about producing a decent grape that would be good for winemaking? I don't think I'd ever try to do something like mass produce bottles, but I thought it might be kinda fun to produce a gallon or two of grape juice that I could get something like a home fermenting kit and serve at christmas or something...
Steadybright

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Grapes in... Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. I ended up buying two grapes plants (Double A Vineyards (rakgrape.com)) and planting them on the west side of a north-south running wall. This portion of the wall gets shade in the late afternoon from a large tree about 50 feet west of the site.

I decided on Steuben grapes, because I really wanted seeded grapes, and I found several favorable reviews of this grape (distinctive, sweet grapes, disease resistant, easy to grow).

Now I have to get smart on what a "top wire cordon" system is!

Thank you again for your help!

sb
emma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: grapewines Reply with quote

how can i get sweeter grapes ?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper amounts of fertilizer, water, and lots of sunshine.
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 1gal thompson and flame for 6 bucks each at lowes in chandler, along with 2 wooden trellis. (initially was going to grab a passion fruit but they didnt have any, and home depot was sold out! =\)

I was going to post them on the west retaining brick wall in my backyard (east facing) but it would have seemed over crowded in that area as I have a banana, a giant canna, rosemary, and my orange tree is close to there.. so I ended up planting them on the north west corner of the retaining wall, about 10ft away from the western wall right up against the northern wall (so they receive southern exposure but they are close enough to the western east facing wall that they will get shade when the sun starts to set, just not as much as if they were right up against that wall...)

Im hoping this spot proves to be a wise choice..
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like a good spot to me. The toughest time of the year on a south facing wall is August, so if it makes it through August you are set. Having the east facing wall nearby will most certainly help things from getting too hot. I bet your grapes will get started early in the spring because they'll get a lot of sun there.
mullenium

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Ive noticed a couple of the leaves and the ends of the grasping vine like things turning brittle.. I'm crossing my fingers this is just a symptom of the transplant shock and being so late in the season to plant they wont have much time to root before the summer heat hits...

so i've been flooding the basin about twice a week until I can get them hooked up to my drip system.. I was just going to take the 2 lines going to my orange tree that I've plugged up since i started to hand water it and use T connections to split out each of the 2 lines underneath the orange into 4 lines, then pop on a 2gph emitter on each line and give 2 to each of the grapes.

Would the T splitter decrease pressure?

hopefully this spot doesn't turn out to be a bad location =\
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grape vines are fairly tough. However, if it gets too beat up, you can just put a chair or a trash can next to it to shade it for the summer. I have done that before. Good luck.
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Idea!

I was starting to think maybe transplanting one of my banana pups on the west side of the 2 grapes for shade, but that would be alot of work and they are dwarf variety anyway so it wont be much shade for the effort in digging another hole and running more drip line.

A chair would work! and wont blow away in the upcoming windy season if I put something heavy on the seat of it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: