Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

New Papaya Planting

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: New Papaya Planting Reply with quote

I've had friends that get lots of Papaya fruit, but I have had little luck with my papaya's in my back yard fruiting. They are big and it has been over two years but still no fruit. I believe it has to do with how much sun they get near my peach tree. Too much shade I think. So, I am trying some new papayas in a new location on the east side of my house, about 6 feet away from the wall. (see photo) Notice how I dug a trench and then used the dirt removed to make a burm on which I planted the papayas. I then put my landscape rocks by their base. I figure weeds grow some darn well within my landscape rocks so they must be perfect for plants, with a color light enough to actually shield the soil from heat and evaporation. I find papayas don't really need all that much water, so I'm going to just flood the trench on an as needed basis. Maybe once a week in the heat of summer.

Another thing I am doing differently is I have grown these papayas from seeds I optained from a friend named Bob in AZRFG. He says this variety is called Tainung 2 and he brings in amazing amounts of super delicious papayas to the meetings. My other papayas were from grocery store seeds from Maridol papayas. I'll keep up dating this topic with new photos as they progress. So far they seem to be doing well. By the way, I grew the papaya seeds in pots first and then transplanted.

Other plants pictured in the photo are starfruit close by, a banana, and a fig. On the other side of the wall is a lime and some guavas.

PayasEarlyMay.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.1 KB
 Viewed:  36917 Time(s)

New Papaya Planting

Last edited by phoenixtropicals on Wed May 26, 2010 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
saul4paz

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Papaya Tainung Reply with quote

I’ve seen Bobs Monster of a Papaya. He planted 5 plants on a "pitchers mount" type whole 3 years ago. He put Tainung #1/ and Tainung #2. The plant is the coolest looking papaya I’ve ever seen, Its multi-trunk and at least 16ft. high, He has to need a later to get the fruit (I see it every time I got to my dad's house) and has dozens of big and small papayas. It’s survived the last 3 freezes, even when it lost all its leaves. I think this plant is very worth trying and will prove very successful in AZ.

The ones I have in the ground are the same size as this pic 5-6inch. But bob said they should grow fast. And his are in full sun.

I saw on a blog that they have had success with Tainungs and Improved Red Maradol-(dwarf) papayas in Yuma too.

Alohaseeds.com (found them there, and started hundreds of them)

http://www.shop.alohaseed.com/main.sc (click on medium fruit)

ThX Laughing

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so its "Tainung". Thanks Saul. Mine have already added a couple of inches since that photo. I took that photo about two weeks ago. I'll add some more photos as they progress. Yes, they seem to be growing fast.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see what Bob's papaya looks like. Maybe you or Bob could post a photo?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos Saul. Here's a link to Bob's super papayas that you posted. http://phoenixtropicals.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=198

Did he tell you if her fertilizes them, and with what?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Papaya progress early June Reply with quote

Here is another photo to show progress. I have been giving the papayas miracle grow 36-6-6 mixed in a gallon of water and poured in the trench during watering every two weeks. I have been flooding the trench every week with water. The papayas are about 6 feet from my one story house so they are in the sun from sun up until about 1:30 PM.

They are doing really well. I tried to take the picture from exactly the same angle as the previous and if you look at the last papaya it has doubled in size in about a month. Use the wall as a reference.

The leaves look a little droppy in the heat but they bounce back as soon as they are in the shade. They do this every day this time of year but I still only water once a week and they seem to do fine.

papayasEarlyJune.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.99 KB
 Viewed:  36780 Time(s)

Papaya progress early June

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Papayas progressing - July Reply with quote

The papayas are still making progress. Smile

papayasJuly.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.01 KB
 Viewed:  36632 Time(s)

Papayas progressing -  July

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Papayas Still Growing, Middle Of August Reply with quote

I'm still only watering once a week, and giving them miracle grow about once every 3 weeks.

papayasMidAugust.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.02 KB
 Viewed:  36420 Time(s)

Papayas Still Growing, Middle Of August

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Papayas still growing Reply with quote

It's September 6th and they are still making progress. The middle one seems to be eclipsing the other two... hmmmmm.

papayasSeptember.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.89 KB
 Viewed:  36275 Time(s)

Papayas still growing

Little Luey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how your papaya plants doing now?

i am considering getting me some of them, right now they have them at my local Lowe's store, they are calling them mexican papaya, i wonder if it is the same as yours

Little Luey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question,

do you think a papaya plant will do well in a container? is there a variety that is small enough for a container? i have a 55gal plastic drum that i can cut and make a big plater out of it.
i am thinking that the watering issues may just be eliminated in a container since the water will just run out and not stay in the soil for too long.

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "Mexican Papayas" they have in the stores are very similar, because Tainung is a type of Mexican Papaya. I think you could grow one in a barrel without problem, but you might run into trouble with the larger varieties because they can get as tall as your house. There are some dwarf varieties of Mexican Papaya.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Papayas Late October Reply with quote

As you can see they are still growing. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for a mild winter. Notice the middle one is growing the fastest. It is up to about 4 feet tall.

papayasLateOctober.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.69 KB
 Viewed:  35861 Time(s)

Papayas Late October

MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update now that its cooled off? I have a few from Lowe's and I'm waiting for warmer weather to plant them. Thanks for sharing all you information!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't growing much now, but still in good shape. I'm not watering them currently. If I see the leaves get droopy, I'll give them a little water, otherwise I don't water them during the cool weather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: