Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

roselle" Jamica Hibiscus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saul4paz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: roselle" Jamica Hibiscus Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite fruits to grow. It is a fruit that looks like a flower version of a cranberry and is very easy to grow from seeds. I usually plant them in February, and harvest enough to make juice by early summer. It grows like a bush weed. And has no pest.

I don’t know why they don’t sell the seeds more easy here. You can find the flowers dried at food city and sometimes get seed but look for Onee on eBay for best seeds.

They don’t mind the sun and i watered them every other day in the spring. Has anyone else tried growing these? They look beutiful in any garden.

They can be used in recipes just like cranberries, or made into a refreshing summer drink called JAMICA JUICE Very Happy

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/roselle.html

US 047.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1 MB
 Viewed:  993 Time(s)

roselle" Jamica Hibiscus

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, you use the berries. I always thought that the juice was made from crushing up the flower or something like that. I assume a regular hibiscus would not work for this.
saul4paz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: roselle/ hibiscus Reply with quote

Yes I use the berries just like cranberries, Pies/Juice/ and even straight off the bush (sour like a lemon, raspberry) Laughing No ,there not your typical hibis. they are an annual(only grow from seed), you can make them a Perennial here in PHX but they generally look ugly late august, and will not produce that much berries after there first flush.

Smile They grow about 2ft. in a month from seed super fast and flower in the morning "pink" like the photo, And after that flower there followed by a flower looking berries, its so pretty to see.By May you'll have hundreds of berries hanging off the stems. Check the links out bellow; Have Nice Day Everyone Laughing

great seller (I have no affiliation); www.onaleeseeds.com

good pics on onalee's too

davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/184903/

Dauntless

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Hibiscus Reply with quote

I have been looking for some of these seeds ever since I saw one of these growing at the Extension Service offices during the Rare Fruit Growers sale. Thanks for the link. I just ordered some.
They also sell another edible Hibiscus and I am going to try that one too. It is a Ahelmoschus Manihot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: