Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Loquat questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roberto_G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Loquat questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but have been visiting this website for a couple of years and have found it to be a wealth of information, most importantly with regards to the conditions that are unique to the Phoenix area.

I planted a loquat (Big Jim variety) ~18 months ago, and it's been doing well for the most part. I'm shading it with a burlap netting from late May through late September. No fruit yet, but it's still getting established - so maybe next year?

I notice that the lower leaves keep losing their glossiness, then crinkle up and turn yellow/brown and then fall off. However, the tree keeps growing upwards with vigor and many new, larger shiny leaves. I'm concerned about an area where the outer bark is missing, and it looks like the trunk is trying to heal itself with a knot. I first noticed this last spring, and I don't know if it's because I painted the trunk with diluted white paint, but the other main branch/trunk isn't doing this. I don't know if this is a disease, or something that I can heal/correct somehow. Do they make any kind of wrap for injured/exposed bark areas of trees, to protect it from parasites etc?

I'm attaching a pic of the trunk. You can see where the tree is creating a knot around itself, and there are even some white paint slivers within the slit, like the trunk folded in upon itself?? The overall pic shows the good health of the upper leaves, and the unhealthy (?) condition of the droopy lower leaves. This tree is now ~4.5' tall - 3' growth in 18 months!

Any suggestions or tips would be great!! I haven't seen many loquats here, but they're all over Florida where I'm from, and I would really like to see this thrive here. Plus I've never seen the fruit in any stores - truly a doorstep fruit tree! Thanks again....

loquat - lower drooping leaves.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.85 KB
 Viewed:  19571 Time(s)

Loquat questions

loquat - overall pic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  54.32 KB

Loquat questions

loquat - trunk knotting.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.69 KB

Loquat questions

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall your loquat is looking great. The only thing I can imagine that would do that to your trunk is sunburn. Seems like you painted it so that should help. As for the older leaves falling off, I have had the same trouble and found that Magnesium Sulfate, applied as recommended on my web page fixed that. Apply once a month. Also, I recommend not fertilizing your tree with anything else besides that they just burn too easily. Thanks for the great pictures. Matt.

P.S. Actually, I have given my loquat a cap full of alaska fish emulsion 0-10-10 mixed with a gallon of water, every now and then, and it seemed to like it. That fish emulsion is not available at most local stores so you'd need to order it online. Stay away from any nitrogen fertilizers for sure though.
Roberto_G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did give it some magnesium sulfate a few weeks back, and it's got a lot of newer growth. It's grown a bit more, and more healthy, since the pics which I took back in February. I think the magnesium sulfate helped, but it's still losing some of the lower leaves, just not as fast. It's about time for some more, so maybe that'll stop it.

Also I gave it some Alaska fish emulsion a couple of weeks ago. I bought a larger container at Lowes. The liquid stuff was really expensive, so I got the dry powder and mixed it with water. Is there a better kind online? I'm aware from your site that they burn easily, so believe me - I'm trying to keep that all organic!!

Thanks for your reply Matt!

Rob
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even give mine organic nitrogen. No nitrogen at all. The only fish emulsion I use on it is 0-10-10 which is just Phosphorus, and Potasium, and only a small dose once or twice year.
Roberto_G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I'll look for one that has no Nitrogen. Thanks again for your help!!
Sardonic_007

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious - I know you've increased your mulch use, do you still add mag to your loquat or allow mulch breakdown to work?

Just put a little loquat into the ground and was heavily mulched and was curious about adding mag.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. I haven't put down any magnesium since I put down the heavy layer of mulch last summer. I usually add magnesium sulfate when it looks like it needs it and it hasn't looked like it is lacking anymore. Maybe the mulch supplies it. I'll have to see if it continues to look good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: