Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Longans vs. Lychees in Phoenix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Longans vs. Lychees in Phoenix Reply with quote

Here is discussion about longans I had recently with a gardener from Phoenix. It is pasted from an e-mail thread.

Gardener:
I am looking to grow something similar to a Rambutan tree found in Costa Rica that produces Mamon Chino fruit. I am finding the closest I will get is a Brewster Lychee tree. Is this something you sell or can lead me in another direction? I live in Phoenix. Thank you,

Phoenixtropicals:
I have both a lychee and a longan and longans are much easier to grow here and have very similar fruit to what you want. I bought mine from these guys. http://www.toptropicals.com The variety I bought was Kohala, which is really growing well. I don't have it on my website yet because I have been growing it for less than a year and don't have fruit yet, but I have friends that have rather large ones and lots of fruit. I wouldn't recommend you order/plant it until October though. This heat is just too tough for a plant to get established and grow its roots in.

Gardener:
Thank you very much for the information. I see that Toptropicals has a Euphoria Longana var. Biew Kiew in a 3 gal pot and a var. Kohala. Do you think it is reasonable to purchase now and leave it in the pot until I can plant later in year or wait? Thanks again for the response.

Phoenixtropicals:
I recommend waiting. The plant will take a real beating in the mail this time of year because of the heat, especially here in town where it has a good chance of being cooked in the back of the mail truck all day. I think early October would be a good time to order, and then just put it straight into the ground. Top tropicals recommendation of putting it in a pot first is unecessary in my experience. I never do that. I plant them immediately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: