Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Mango tree from seed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Luey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Mango tree from seed? Reply with quote

I bought a couple of mangoes from the grocery store,
is it possible to grow a plant from the seed?
how would I do that?
will the fruit taste right?

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can do it. There is lots of advice on the web about that so just search around. I have 3 trees, 2 grafts and one seedling (grown from a seed). The seedling is 7 years old and has never fruited. The grafts are 2 years old and are already fruiting. Also, you never know what kind of quality of mango you'll get from a seedling. Odds are against it being good. I don't recommend planting seedlings for those reasons. My seedling was a gift that I planted before I knew any better. Maybe one day it will fruit and it will be good who knows. Even if they're sour I can probably still use them for juice.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Growing mango from a seed Reply with quote

Here's a link. I like this one because its simple. Some of the advice out there makes germinating a mango sound like rocket science.

http://www.plantcultures.org/activities/handson_mango.html
rich985

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy germinating mangoes from seed. During June and July when mangoes were in abundance, I germinate around 12, but only one made it, and is now 1.5 feet tall, and about 4 months old. I also have another about 8 ft tall, but just bought it last year.

The simplest and most effective way that I germinate mangoes were to eat them of course, and carefully break open the husk to reveal a lima bean shaped seed. Take that seed, and plant it on its side just under the soil surface, not deep, and keep it moist. It's very important that you plant the fresh seed immediately for best germination.

The seedling grows very fast in the first month, and then slows down. Also, its a good idea not to fully expose it to summer sun until it's older, as this will severely burn the tender leaves. Good Luck!

BTW, speaking of seedlings, if you love Jackfruit, then plant the hundred or so seeds in it, as they will likely all germinate, and they grow FAST. Mine is 2 feet tall and 2 months old.
Little Luey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, but if the seed grown trees are not likely to give fruit it kind of defets the purpose for me. I want fruit, I can wait until my local nurseries have the trees.

I don't believe I have eaten Jackfruit before, am I missing something good?

Thanks for commenting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: