Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Questions on Composting and watering trees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Luey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Questions on Composting and watering trees Reply with quote

Does anyone here has a composter? any advice on which one to get?

I found two that seem like they can get it done for me, they are not huge and I like the idea of not having to manually turn the pile. I am not sure it is even worth the investment but I think one I get my vegetable bed going I may need more compost.

http://www.urbangardencenter.com/Composters/Urban-Compost-Tumbler-73.aspx

http://www.gardeners.com/Compost-Tumbler/20706,37-459,default,cp.html

I also notice some of my trees are still holding on to the green leaves, the avocado, guava, and my lemon. But the apple and pomagranite dropped their leaves. My initial thought was to water the one that still have leaves more often than the other ones, thinking that they still need to feed more, is this thinking correct or should I water them less. Right now I water the lemon, avocado and guava every saturday, while the other group every other saturday.

saul4paz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m still watering once a week, for my guavas, avocados, and others. Its been a wierd winter to say the least. Dry, cold, warm, with mild freezes. Just monitor your yards soil, that’s what I do, this is a good time (I think to work on your soil) adding more compost, manure, working on drainage, and adding gypsum.

I lost 2 mangos, out of a freak freeze one of these nights. I have to figure out my hot and cold spot of my yard still.

I still deep water apples, and peaches. Once every 3 weeks. I think It will be a great year for all stone fruits. We've got some great "chill hour" weather

I think compost rotators are a good investment, those both look good. I just want a wood chipper, then I think I'll make a compost pit out of old wood, or a big trash can with holes.

Idea

Little Luey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for commenting.
what is the gypsum for?
sorry to hear about your mangoes, that is the tree I want next, maybe a Carrie or Julie variety.

The compost pile is not a good option for me since my wife is on me about not making the yard look messy, i know she would have a fit if I had a pile in the open, and the dogs would try to get in there also. I figure the closed container is the cleanest and dog proof option.

you mentioned chill hours, how many hours do we get in this area a year?

saul4paz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: yo Reply with quote

Gypsum is GOLD IN THE DESERT, well not literally but Its calcium bases with sulfur that wont never burn your plants. It goes into your clay soil and massively improves drainage; I’ve also noticed that it improves yellowing on apples and citrus too. (iron dif.) You can find it at Most HD and lowes just ask them, ROSES LOVE THIS STUFF too. You can just apply, as you would fertilizer or add it when you dig a hole for planting. If you apply once a year for three years you'll see some great results in your soil. This is an old school way to garden in the desert that works great. Cheap too, $3 for 40lbs. of the stuff. I put it on everything.

Mangos.. Its all good I got 4 more. Laughing you'll have better luck in YUMA with mangos tho. I would get a Kiett, or Julie if I were you.

I had dog problems once upon a time...It just a takes time to train a dog and toddler not to eat and dig everything...but its fun. For me Its to expensive to pay 200bks. for a rotating trash can. My wife came around to the messy yard once I gave her a bucket full of Guavas, Laughing I'd rather just make a project in the yard were no one can see.

Chill hours- I monitor the weather constantly, for chandler I speculate that we've already exceeded 350hours of chill at least..(hours below or at 45F) since about dec-to now. I don’t know how much you've had in Yuma but I would guess its close to the same, maybe warmer. Its also a good Idea to monitor weather around your area too. (México SL, San Diego) to just get a better look at what’s happening around.

Good article on gypsum
http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1413.pdf

Little Luey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you about the $200; was just looking at some home-made composters made with barrells, and I looking for a place to get one, so I can make my own. So far the cheapest barrel I have found is $20, and $30 if I want the top completly open as wide as the barrell. I can get some wood from work and make my own stand for it.

I had to put a chicken wire fences around my trees because my lap dog likes to roll around in the nice dirt, and our newest addition, a 6 month old cocker likes to dig and eat plants. Our other dog I don't think she would bother the plants.

My plan with the mangos is to put them in containers, that is why I wanted a dwarf tree. I like to get it local, I would not mind driving to the Phoenix or San Diego area to get it but I don't want to spend too much in shipping charges. I can make a day out of it with the family, take them to the zoo or something and get my tree as well.
I still have one more spot in the ground but I am not sure what to put there yet.

Little Luey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Update on composter Reply with quote

Well, I was able to find a few plastic drums for free. After I finish my shed I will start on the composter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: