Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Mulberry in Phoenix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Transplant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Mulberry in Phoenix Reply with quote

I keep hearing that the Mulberry pollen is high in Phoenix. Has anyone seen a Mulberry tree? I haven't.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, there are lots of them.
Transplant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Mulberry in Phoenix Reply with quote

I don't see them in local landscaping lit. at DBG or in the homes I visit. Where are they. Trees or shrubs? Var.?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are trees. I think all of the varieties will grow here. If you care about the fruit, then you'll want to get a select variety. Baker's Nursery in Phoenix sells a Pakistani variety. http://bakernurseryaz.com/ I really like mulberry's. I 'd plant one but they get large and I don't have room. My favorite varieties are the white ones. They taste like white nectarines.

You could also mail order a tree from these guys. I see a white one on their list. http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=MULB

Hmmm. It kind of looks like the weeping mulberry might be a smaller variety. They have one of those at ASU right next to the stairs to the "normal school". The old building near the bridge on university.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pakistani variety and it grows like a weed. It gets full sun and seems to love it. I got it as a cutting from a local rare fruit grower. Some people prefer the Oscar variety, but I really like the flavor of the Pakistani variety.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did end up buying the weeping variety from Raintree and I've had it for 2 or 3 years now. It tastes good and does not get big near as fast. The fruit isn't as good as the Pakistan or white varieties but still good. You have to pick it when it is practically falling off for it to be sweet. The good thing about the weeping is that the drooping branches protect the fruit from the birds.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture was taken yesterday (yes my greenhouse is busted up and my yard is a mess).

The mulberry is on the left, and to the right is a calimansi tree (kind of a small lime). And in the foreground is a malunggay (or horse radish) tree.

The mulberry tree is about 4 years old I think now. And trimmed it to around 8' for the first two years. As of last year I just left it to grow.
clarita_l

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Mulberry Trees Reply with quote

HI

I'm desperately searching for mulberry Trees in Phoenix area. I'm an MFA art student at ASU from the UK and I'm about to start growing silkworms. I was hoping that anyone in the area with a mulberry tree would be able to donate leaves to feed the silkworms as this is the best food for them.

I live in Tempe but am willing to travel, the leaves can be stored in a refrigerator for 5 days. It wouldn't be a huge amount and not damage the tree in any way.

Let me know if you would be willing. I'd be able to give you a couple of silk worm cocoons for your help if I pull it off!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tree is fairly small and silk worms eat a lot I understand. You should be able to find some big trees on the streets in Tempe. Do you know what they look like? I can spot a Mulberry from far away. They are all over town.
Kyle_Davis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was mentioned, there are mulberry tree's all over town. But if you cant' find any.. I'd be happy to give you some. Not a big deal, my tree is covered with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Ornamentals All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: