Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Thrips! *PICS*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Thrips! *PICS* Reply with quote

What do you guys do to get rid of thrips?

They are sucking the sap out of the new growth points in my apple, cirtus, and mango trees. Makes the new leaves look deformed and they dont grow to a mature size.

Last season I've used Seven spray, as well as organocide spray and it does the job for the thrips on the plant, but they always come back.

This year I bought the diatomaceous earth powder from Dave the garden guy's products.. and it seems like it also does the job, I blow the dust on the new growth with a turkey baster, but after the powder blows away they come back. maybe I can mix it with water and spray a light layer on the trees, or put down a layer of the dust on the top of the soil line?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Here are pics from last year, with the damage they cause:

[/img]
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Those are some amazing photos you took! Unfortunately, my answer is very short. I do nothing.

I have never noticed signficant damage from thrips. I have noticed new citrus leaves coming out looking deformed, especially on my tangerine tree. Also, that kind of damage only happens periodically so I get lots of nice looking leaves as well.

Are you sure the chemicals you are putting on the plants are not causing more damage than the bugs? Or maybe its just sunburn, and the bugs you see are the ones that just clean up dead material. Also, there are some beneficial bugs like lady bug nymphs and lacewing nymphs that look scary but are actually benefical.

My plants always have some beat up leaves, whether from the wind, bugs, sun, etc. I think as long as you keep your plants healthy and growing you are in good shape. In the photo your mango has some nice dark green leaves. I think that is the most important thing. Thrips aren't worth the trouble.
mullenium

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

the photos were taken last year, so the dark green leaves were when the tree was still at the nursery, and the warped stuff is from after i planted it.

maybe it was the insecticides? the diatomaceous earth seems to be doing a good job, I just have to constantly dust the plant.. but if you dont think it will harm the plant, just alter its looks a little then maybe I'll let it go as is and maybe occasionally dust the soil line
mullenium

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take some recent pics too, of both mango trees so we can compare 1 year later =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: