Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Intensive planting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Intensive planting Reply with quote

I am getting ready to plant a small orchard area and I am considering using the intensive planting method illustrated on the Dave Wilson Nursery website.
You plant multiple trees of similar root stocks in a single expanded hole. I am looking at the 3 in one hole method where you plant the trees in a triangular pattern and then trim the inner branches off.
I have 2 concerns about this. One is that you are supposed to cut the tree off at about knee high and the other is that you do a lot of pruning in the summer. Pruning in the summer doesn't seem like a good idea here with our extreme heat and relentless sun.
Has anyone here done this or have knowledge of it being done here?
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds interesting, if you find more info you gotta let us know.

my 2 mango trees are planted within 5 feet of each other, but in 2 separate planting holes
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: One site that explains this method Reply with quote

http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/backyardorchard.html

If you go to the link on the bottom of this page, it has some diagrams for examples.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: More info on this subject Reply with quote

This site has pictures and more info on how to prune etc.

http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/BOC_explained.html
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two low chill pears planted in the same hole for over a year and so far so good. I also have some friends who have planted deciduous fruit trees very close and it is working well for them.

You are right not to prune the trees in summer. I pruned my peach tree this year after it fruited in late May and it really got hammered in June. Its still alive but even smaller than I intended it to be when I pruned it.

Chopping a tree knee high doesn't seem like that great of an idea. It seems that you would be too close to the rootstock and wouldn't be left with many buds. I wouldn't go any lower than waste high for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: