Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Selecting and Planting a Mango Tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jewelrywoman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Selecting and Planting a Mango Tree Reply with quote

Anyone with experience on selecting and planting a mango tree that will be planted in Scottsdale, AZ 85254. Would appreciate any info one would like to share. Thanks!
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Selecting and Planting a Mango Tree Reply with quote

I have a friend that lives near Miller and McDowell. He planted one last spring but of course had to protect it from the freeze this January. He just used some blankets and its doing great. He bought his tree at the Home Depot on Broadway and Val Vista in Mesa. The variety he has is Manila, which a very easy one to grow and does well here.

Keep in mind that you will have to protect a mango from frost a couple of times a winter especially while it is small. This year has been worse than most years for freezing though. Many winters temperatures won't get low enough in town to damage a mango tree. Mangoes are hardy to 29 F., but keep in mind that most places in the valley are colder than the temperature they predict at Sky Harbor airport, which is the official monitoring station for the Phoenix area.
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting a grafted mango, you will get fruit much sooner and you have a wider selection to choose from..
only nursery in town I know who sells them is TropicaMango, and their prices can be pricey.. I think they charge 85-100 for grafted (I bought 2 from them and they are doing great)

or you can mail order
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: