Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Mangos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Mangos Reply with quote

I have a Glenn Mango, a Manila and a Timatayo. These three are young trees and two of them are not even planted yet.
My question is, how many Mango trees do I need to get a decent amount of fruit?
It's easy for me to want to buy lots of them and I almost bought another one the other day but caught myself. While I love Mangoes, I want to have enough room and water for other "special" fruits.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are lucky, within 2-3 years you will get about 5 mangoes per tree. Every year after that you would probably double the number of fruit per tree. Of course, if your trees get really big you'll have more than you can eat. However, in our climate your trees will probably get beaten back every 3-5 years by a freeze, so they are not likely to get really big. By the way, make sure you take measures to protect at least the base of the tree when frost threatens, or you might not have any tree left at all. If you are lucky enough to have 10 frost free years a mango tree here would probably be about 20 feet tall, because they don't grow as fast here as they do in the humid tropics.

I have 3 mango trees and I think that is probably a good number. That many trees is not too hard to protect but you'll get some parallel production and get more fruit faster that way.

Let us know how that Timatayo does. It seems to be a new variety on the scene. I also read that it is hardier. However, my experience is that all mangoes start taking damage at 29°F regardless of the variety so claims of a hardier mango are suspicious.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Mango Reply with quote

Maybe I should just stop at 3 for now. It sounds like I need to concentrate on keeping the ones I have alive and healthy. My Glenn made it through the freeze ok since I made a small tent like structure with T-posts and frost cloth along with C-9 Christmas lights wrapped around a chicken wire cage near the trunk. It really is a lot of work to protect them from freezes so I want to be wise with my choices.

I'll let you know how the Timatayo does. I hope it lives up to the claims but like you, I need to see it for myself.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Manila Mango Reply with quote

This is funny. I was just preparing my Manila for planting and noticed the tag. It says that the tree is hardy to 20 degrees. You have to wonder who writes the tag info. Geez.
mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you use as a backfill when planting for your mangos? just compost or what?

when I planted mine, they were some of the first plants ive ever planted and I used 100% composting mulch (kelloggs n'rich).. but now I wish I woulda mixed in some native soil but its too late now
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: soil Reply with quote

I use approximately 30% compost and 70% native soil for the tropicals but for my regular fruit trees (unless they are in a sandy soil), I use all native soil.
I used to use a whole lot more compost in my plantings for everything. That used to be how you were told to do it. Now, apparently that has changed depending on who you talk to Smile
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to clarify some things in my previous message. First, I was thinking that probably after 10 years a mango here would be more like 15 ft. not 20 ft. Also, that would be the case with a seedling, like a Manila, grafted plants grow much more slowly. Even though Manilas are seedlings, they mostly grow true to type because they are polyembryonic.

Also, I am much more of a native soil planter these days as well.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Tree size Reply with quote

Fifteen feet is probably better anyways so that I can cram more trees into my space Smile
I wondered why the Manilas were not grafted and the others that I have wanted are. Thanks for clearing that up.
The price on the Manila's is quite a bit better because of it.
Sprouts has some Mangoes for sale this week listed as Ataulfo. After looking them up online, it says that they are Manila Mangoes so I'm going to pick up a couple to try since I'm going to have a bit of a wait for my own.
I haven't gotten to taste any of the "good" ones yet just the typical fibrous ones that they usually sell in stores, yuck. While I know it can't compare to homegrown fresh ones, at least it's something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: