Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Opinions on Mangoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dauntless

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Opinions on Mangoes Reply with quote

I am trying to decide what Mango trees that I will get next.

The ones that sound interesting to me are Ice Cream, Okrung Tong, Pickering and Carrie.
Does anyone have any opinions on these?

Also, where is the best place to order these from?
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me id roll with a Pickering.. alot of good reviews from the guys at gardenweb.. its a smaller tree size too i believe, so if you wanted a giant tree id do some research on it to see what its traits are..

top tropicals ships mangos, ive never ordered from them but they seem to be one of the leading places people buy their trees.. them and pine island nursery in florida.. not sure about shipping cost.

tropicamango nursery here in the valley sells lots of various mango varieties, but their prices on grafted selection is about $120-130.. you may weigh that price out with the price shipping one from one of those online sellers to see what works best for you.. i know tropicamango is now carrying the new Timotayo mango.. you might wanna check that one out too

one thing i can say is that having your mango shipped from east coast the graft line will be closer to the soil line, which in my opinion is ideal.. if a cold snap blasts your tree having the graft lower will give you a better chance of still being able to grow your grafted fruit.. tropicamango orderes their mangos from a west coast nursery which graft their trees a few feet up the trunk

both of my trees are from tropicamango and they are doing great
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh also plantogram dot com is a good place for mail order
Dauntless

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Pickering Reply with quote

I decided to go with the Pickering. Besides what you wrote, it is supposed to have a coconut taste.Top Tropicals had it and they actually ship to AZ. I only found two that ship here.
Next, I think I'll order from Plant O Gram. I have heard lots of good things about the owner. He even sends you a free plant with your order.

Would love to be able to order from Pine Island but they say they don't ship to AZ unless you are a nursery.

Tropica Mango is great and I have gotten several plants from them including a Glenn and a Timatayo.

Another thing is that yesterday I spoke to the head of the plant Dept at a local Lowes. I had seen a Gold Nugget grafted Mango but couldn't buy it at the time and when I went back to get it the next day, it was gone. So, he is ordering me one of those and possibly others like a Carrie. They run $50 each. In a couple of weeks I'll know what he will be able to get for me. So, if you are looking for grafted mangoes at a good price, you may want to check it out.
tropicaltree

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which Lowes you went? The local Lowes I went could not place orders for grafted mango trees.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Lowes Reply with quote

It is at Ellsworth and Southern in Mesa. The guy in charge of the garden center is named Charlie. He wrote down my name and number and what I was interested in and he also called the nursery while I was there.
I am to call him again the first week of April to see what he'll be getting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: