Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Timotayo Mango

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Timotayo Mango Reply with quote

I was just at Lowes on Ellsworth and Southern in Mesa and they have 5 gallon Timotayo Mango trees for $39.96. There were 3 or 4 left. Of course I had to pick up another one.
While they are not as big of trees as are at Tropica Mango, they are still healthy and guaranteed for 1 year.

There is an article posted on The Garden Web Tropical site written by the grower and I learned some things that I didn't know before. For example, Timotayos are on the more cold tolerant side for mangoes and they are resistant to Powdery Mildew. I didn't even know that they got P.D.

I am still waiting to see what other grafted types of Mango trees they will have. They are waiting on the nursery.

There was a Haden there but it's not one that I'm looking for.
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were grafted?
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lowes by chandler mall had seedling manila for 20 bucks, but I wanna stick with grafted
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: grafted Reply with quote

Yes, they are grafted. They also had a few of the Manila too which are the only mangoes that I will get that are not grafted.
I'll keep you updated on what other grafted ones they are going to get just in case something that you have to have comes in.
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might go pick up the timo on my lunch break
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they only had 1 left of each timotayo and haden, i grabbed the timotayo

there were about 4 manila seedlings, one was nice with 4 growth points
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many growth points are on your new timotayo? when i went on lunch break there was only 1 left so i think someone snatched them up, also one haden left

the timotayo i got only has 2 growth points above the graft, still it looks real healthy though
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: points Reply with quote

Mine has 4 and it's getting new leaves.
Those went really fast. You seemed to get there pretty quickly after I posted it. At least you got one before they were gone.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out about the other types they are to get. I'm quite the enabler Smile
mullenium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i probably got the worst one since it was the last LOL

oh well

at least its healthy

edit: while there I had them search the sku in their system and there were 2 grafted in stock, but they don't separate the varieties on the sku, just general grafted mango 3.25gal so the 2 showing up were my timotayo and the haden
saul4paz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy the lowes on chandler blv. and the 101 south , had tommy atkins, haden and a glenn yesterday grafted small but 40bucks, also picked up a timotayo on the west valley 87th AVe / mcdowell lowes, few months ago already grew 6 inches; found there bigger grafted plants in the west valley. La verne started bringing gratfed mangoes to the valley, a few months ago and they go fast, in all lowes try thursdays, fridays and mondays in the morning after 11am.

Also herd cherimoyas/atemoyas, guamuchiles are coming soon from la verne (lowes)

Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: plants Reply with quote

Atemoya is another plant that I want to try. I was thinking about putting it in a pot to go in my future greenhouse. Of course it could be growing outside for years before that happens.

Also, I have a guamuchiles but I'm not sure if it's still alive. It's small, was planted last fall and there are still no leaves on it.

It looks like I need to talk to the Lowes garden guy again. He'll snag them for me when they come in.
I really hate to pay a lot of money for a plant that I'm going to put in a pot since I have been known to kill a few potted plants.
mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul.. i went to that chandler/101 lowes at like 1pm and all they had was 1 grafted gold nugget..

must be that tthey sold them all from when you were there to when i showed up..

these things are FLYING off the shelves..

you know what im thinking.. maybe the tropica owner has been scouting all the lowes snatching them up for his buisness =) pretty good tactic since he sells them for a premium (although more mature)
saul4paz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the guamuchile hasnt had leave for over a year its probably dead, I have found them to double there size every year in az, shade or full sun. I lost 3 guamuchiles this year to the frost, a few on a west wall small ones survived though.

I also picked up a "Gold nugget " Mango and the info on the web is promising.

mullenium

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saul.. did you snatch up the glenn there at 101/chandler lowes?

if so.. nice find!
saul4paz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy lol no i didnt, for me it was a bit much ($50 for a small high graft) I look fort a medium graft with multi buds, and healthy trunk (picky i know)

Funny the moment I put a mango on a cart at the store people coming in ask about were to get one and how to grow (i mention the AZRFG too)

But I spoke with a lowes manager and la verne told him the glenns and valencia mango grafted 5 gallons will be ready next month. So i'll look forward to shoping around and doing my rounds around lowes (it turns out home depot cant get the grafted mangos from la verne)

Laughing Glenn is one im looking forward to add to the home orchard
Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: