Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

My new potted collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullenium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: My new potted collection Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I got some new additions to my collection

I decided to pot them all because i was running out of room in my yard and easier to move in during winter.

The First is my new Pickering from plantogram:

The Trunk of the Pickering

Also found this Timotayo at Lowes for $39 (its an upper V graft with only 2 growth shoots)

And I found this Gold Nugget at Lowes for only $20 bucks (price mistake) its again an upper V graft (thanks a lot la verne!) with only 1 growth shoot

Here is the free Barbados Cherry from PlantoGram

Pic of all my potted plants(from left to right: struggling minnola tangelo i pulled from the ground and potted up, ex bonsai'd jaboticaba [i decided I want to actually taste the fruit sooner than later], timotayo mango, gold nugget mango, pickering mango, barbados cherry, 2 tiny grafted citrus in the smaller tan pots, and some herbs in the white long container)

do you guys think these pots are big enough? the 2 larger tan pots are 24 inch glazed plastic (resin?) from walmart which say they are UV resistant, the other 2 are 22 inch high density resin double walled planters from costco.. I figured they should hold up during the phoenix summers well enough if placed toward the east side of my house giving shade in the afternoon.. i was thinking the costco planters might be too small though? what do you all think?

i planted everything in a mix of: peat, perlite, volcanic pumice, compost soil, play sand, decomposed granite sand, and a cup of gypsum per planter

also was I supposed to use gravel as a bottom layer of each pot?

after I had everything planted I thought of this idea which sounds like it might improve drainage?

but i don't want to aggravate the roots by taking everything out to add the gravel.. is it beneficial enough to attempt though?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Very interesting. I think most mangoes will get too big for a pot, but you might be good for a couple of years. I wouldn't bother putting gravel in. As long as your pots have drain holes you are good to go.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Pots Reply with quote

How did you come up with the planting mix that you made? I have heard of Al's gritty mix but that sounds like it wouldn't be very good for here since it is so hot and things dry out so fast. Yours sounds better with the compost.

I don't put gravel in the bottom of my pots but just use rocks or whatever is handy to keep from blocking the drain holes with soil. There was a woman that even used pine cones so that the pots would be lighter.

If it drains, like Phoenix said, I wouldn't worry about it.
mullenium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn i didnt know you were supposed to use rocks to cover the drain holes

makes me contemplate redoing it.. maybe ill just drill the holes bigger
mullenium

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mullenium wrote:
damn i didnt know you were supposed to use rocks to cover the drain holes

makes me contemplate redoing it.. maybe ill just drill the holes bigger

also my planting mix I just kinda made it up myself lol.. the gypsum i took from the gritty mix recipe, but Im not using pine bark or turface or anything they use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: