Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Plant tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Plant tags Reply with quote

Does anyone besides me like to have name tags or labels by their plants? If so, have you found a good way to do this? I have been trying different things and have not been satisfied with anything that I have tried yet.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florescent tag tape, like what most nurseries use to tag trees, with the name in permanent marker is what I've used. Not the prettiest but holds up.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just discovered this on gardenweb:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/prof/msg012110428046.html
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people use the thin metal aluminum tags and then emboss the names into those. Then they use some kind of rust free thin metal wire to attach them to the plant. Seems like that way you won't have to worry about the sun fading the writing etc. The only catch is that you would have to loosen the wire as the plants grow.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauntless - I use the large plastic tags you stake into the ground and write on them with a permanent marker...I guess it will fade with time,but I think I'll just write over the faded part and it will be as good as new???

fingers crossed.....myambercanine
Dauntless

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: tags Reply with quote

I have been using the cheap tiles that are about 4"X4" in size and used for kitchen and bathrooms. I used to be able to use a Porcelaine marker that you wrote on the tile and then baked them. It worked really well for the most part but then when I added new plants and bought new markers, they have not been working at all. I even went to three different stores and bought the markers in case there was a bad batch.
Oh well, at least I have my master schematic of what's planted where so that I know what the heck I have.
The metal tags are a good idea. I had gotten some and after a while they faded to much that I found them hard to read. Maybe the more expensive ones would work out better.
myamberdog, I may find myself rewriting on my tiles too. I just wish that I could find a marker that will work better for this. I used the new Sharpie paint markers and they faded after a little over a month.
By the way, I'm Agility_mom on the garden web. I would love to change my moniker but can't figure out how to do it.
Thanks everyone.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it's funny agility mom (I mean DAUNTLESS) cuz I changed my moniker too, and I don't know why????

You live in Phoenix ? (I've forgotten...age...)

MANGODOG to you....lol....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: