Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Foliar feeding iron to my lychee plant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Foliar feeding iron to my lychee plant Reply with quote

I have had a little lychee in the ground for over 5 years now, and I will emphasize little because it has barely grown more than the size it was at when I received it in the mail. It generally looks chlorotic. I have had a handleful of fruit on it some years but it really seems to struggle with the soil here.

I have tried giving it iron soil ammendments like greenlight soil acidifier and ironite. I also have tried gypsum. They seem to help a small amount but the positive affects end fairly quickly.

So, this spring I decided to try foliar feeding my lychee with a product I found at Home Depot called Liquinox iron and zinc. The important thing with foliar feeding a plant is that you want to make sure the product doesn't have sulfur in it. Sulfur is not good to pour on a plants leaves.

Also, I was told not to apply it when it was hot out. So, I applied it a couple of times in May in the evening after sunset. I haven't applied anymore since because its been so hot out lately.

The result, was actually better than I hoped for. My lychee has just about doubled in size, and the color looks much better! As soon as things cool off I'll give it some more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: