Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Please help me diagnose my orange tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbear

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Please help me diagnose my orange tree Reply with quote

I have an orange tree which is 15+ years old and the tree produces a lot of delicious oranges every year. Around mid of Sept this year, the tree started falling leaves on most branches on one side of the tree (picture 5320R and 5328R) and a lot of the leaves are curled up now (photo 5331R).

Could anyone please help me diagnose my tree? Did I water too much or too little to cause the leaves falling and curled up? How could I cure the tree? We really love this tree and it has been with us for a long time.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

IMG_5328R.JPG
 Description:
falling leaves on most branches on one side of the tree
 Filesize:  225.47 KB
 Viewed:  845 Time(s)

IMG_5320R.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.86 KB
 Viewed:  856 Time(s)

IMG_5331R.JPG
 Description:
leaves curled up

Download
 Filename:  IMG_5331R.JPG
 Filesize:  116.08 KB
 Downloaded:  899 Time(s)

ajbcirc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this with underwatering in combination with heat stress. However, you way want to also post this here:

http://citrus.forumup.org

Citrus Growers is probably the best citrus group on the Internet.

Has it put out any additional growth since temps started to fall?
sbear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not seem to have additional growth of new leaves on those branches after the temp cools down recently.

BTW, the branches with leaves falling are facing east and south.
sbear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, my neighbor on the south side (wall) trimmed a lot of branches out earlier this year. Did that hurt the tree?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your leaf color looks nice and dark green, so I don't think it is overwatering. The leaves also don't look like they have crispy edges so overfertilizing doesn't seem to be the reason either. Yes, I think your neighbor triming back a lot during really hot weather could be part of the problem. Trimming during really hot weather exposes leaves and branches to the sun that are not adapted to it. I also see a bunch of red branches that look sunburned.

Still, the very top of the tree looks beat up too, and damage on the East side is unusual because that is the morning sun side. Did a major branch on that side get very sunburned when your neighbor trimmed? I can't think of why else the whole side would get so thoroughly hammered.

I think the best thing you can do right now is to paint (white latex diluted 50% with water) all the exposed bark that you can reach, to prevent it from sunburning more. Make sure you are giving the tree sufficient water too, and stay away from fertilizing it for a while.
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your neighbor behind the wall must've used some sort of herbicide or poured pool water in the vicinity near the wall.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but didn't want to point any fingers without knowing for sure. If my neighbors orange tree was encroaching into my yard I was just eat them. Very Happy

However, I have seen oranges get beaten back like that in summer, without being "attacked", but it is often due to over fertilizing them.

Regardless if the neighbors went crazy or not, I still think the best they can do is to paint it, and water adequately.

If pool water has something to do with it, a good deep soaking would help to dilute it from the soil. To deep soak, turn the hose on at a moderate rate and flood around the tree for a good six hours. If you don't want to use quite so much water, turn the hose on hard and create a nice puddle then turn it to a rate that will keep the puddle at the same level for the remainder of the time. A deep soak also helps if the tree has been overfertilized.

Oh, and get a quart of oil, take the top off and throw it in their pool.... just kidding!!
sbear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for phoenixtropicals and ajbcirc to provide the valuable info.

After deep watering 2 weeks ago and the rain from the past weekend, I noticed that there are some new leaves push out from the lower branches but the top of the tree remains very damaged and bare (see the attached photo IMG5333 and 5334).

I also attached a photo of the trunk of the tree (IMG 5338) and want to make sure that it looks fine.

Two more questions

1. Do I need to trim/prune the seemed dead branches now?
2. If trimming/pruning is needed, when is the best time to do that?

This tree has been with us for a long time and it has more sentimental value to the family more than producing the delicious oranges.

Thanks a lot for your help!

IMG_5334.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.97 MB
 Viewed:  854 Time(s)

IMG_5338.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.51 MB
 Viewed:  811 Time(s)

IMG_5333.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.49 MB
 Viewed:  870 Time(s)

psimitry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you need to be protecting the trunk and limbs from the sun by painting them?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any sunburn on the trunk. Kind of looks poca dotted though... hmmm. Anyways, the best time of year to prune is now, but you'll still need to paint living limbs exposed to the sun, because even the winter sun can sunburn. Glad to hear you have some new growth. You might want to leave the dead stuff in place because it is still providing some shade. Once the new growth grows up through it then you can cut it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: