Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

More deep thoughts on papayas, another approach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you still have lots of plant there. So, I think they'll make it. Maybe if your lucky you'll get a double headed papaya. That sometimes happens after the tip gets damaged.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention that cuz it does look like they'll be a gap of leaves when the frosted ones fall off and the new ones spread out while the oldest ones are still holding....

I'm not gonna let the frost catch me napping again!!!!!! (famous last words, eh?)

But need to find a reliable weather indicator/predicter for my specific neighborhood cuz as you know its all about microclimates in this war with the cold....

Thanks...and how are your papayas doing right now, PT?

myamberpooch
ajbcirc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myamberdog,

You may want to try Weather Underground -- www.wunderground.com. They link to lots of mini weather stations, often no further than a mile away from an indicated address.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My papayas are still alive and looking better with the mulching. Of course I am not giving them any supplemental watering at all right now because its cool out and we've had plenty of rain.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abcdefg - (lol) - yes I am a big Weather Underground fan, but haven't really found anything closer than Palm Springs Airport (about 4 miles away)- not bad, actually, and probably the closest to my microclimate - I could take out the combined station of that with one in Cathedral City, and just see how just the airport's work for me....

PhoenixTropicals - great - yeah, the mulching has been a HUGE boon for me in the summers - take some pics next year as I assume they will start showing fruit - that is unless you got some this year.......mine, as you know, are still very hard and green....

myamberpoodle
Hyperfalls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it usually take for the seeds to germinate?
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're fairly quick. I don't remember exactly, but I'd say 2-4 weeks.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...so....a current picture of my just-turned 2 year old Lowes Mexican Papaya plant and the second fruit I got off of it. As you can see from the
one picture, the frost did kill about 7-8 whirls of leaves but the fruit DOES ripen on the tree probably nearly 10 months after first forming...a long wait for sure, but something I wasn't sure of. By the way, I did pick a green one off this very plant and it did ripen in about almost a month of wait time, about a month ago.

This papaya weighed about 3 1/2 pounds. Now the fruit is Good - not GREAT - but I'm not sure Mexican papaya is known for it's fabulous fruit. It was mildly sweet with a great orange color - just like the outside of the fruit. I got it for it's allegedly colder temp tolerance. Also, it had like almost no seeds inside it and kind of looks like a pumpkin.....or as my partnes says...a paPumpkin....lol....

myamberdog

phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic!
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!! Looks great.
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2 year old Lowes one and I wish it looked like that! How much sun and water is that beauity getting? Got any tips for me?
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...mk....in an earlier thread I wrote about how I'm treating this papaya and his two friends. Basically planted just 3 feet from each other,
in full sun, along a south facing fence with a bush planted in front of it. It is on a 1/4 inch water line. I've given it some fertilizer - those stakes and then some liquid seaweed and worm castings - I don't know maybe 3-4 times last year. I know the 1/4" line is not enough water for it, and I think it's grabbing the moisture from that bush too. But I do water a lot in the blaze of summer - maybe 25 min. a day with this little line? All OK in my book as long as it looks this good.

You know, with all the ones I've lost, I've come to the conclusion that it just seems hit and miss with success - perhaps the right microclimate or location in the yard? Not sure. They are planted on a slight mound, and oh, I do put 6 inches of compost stuff on top of the soil, just to try to hold moisture in...

That's about it....

myamberdawg
MKIVRYAN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant argue with the results. Thanks for the tips.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your welcome...

myamberwoofy
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like heavily mulching them is key. Don't water them much but mulch heavily to keep the soil from drying out quickly. Almost zero water in winter.

I have a new one that I have planted on a little hill and I don't water it unless it is looking completely parched. It is heavily mulched (1 inch of green brown mix) and about 4 feet away and uphill from a banana tree. The banana isn't watered in the winter but is very well watered in the summer. I figure the papaya will get some incidental moisture from the banana watering through the soil and will send as many roots toward that moisture source as it needs. Also, its a fairly shady spot on the north side of a 6 foot wall and a tall lime tree and the east side of the house. It will get lots of direct sun in the summer mornings though until about noon.

I haven't fertilized it yet, and plan not to. Just trying to have it get what it needs from the mulch.

So far so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: