Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

More deep thoughts on papayas, another approach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myamberdog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...PT....I'm not sure that "don't water them much" is the answer in the summer. Yes, I agree that mulch is key and if you want to keep a really close eye on them every day and water at the first sign of wilt, but to me that's a bit dangerous....I'm not sure you can kill them with water in the summer, especially in our endless sandy soil. I think the water problem of root rot comes in winter time as we've discussed.

Although I must say, it doesn't feel like my 1/4 lines at the end of that station's run give off much water to these papayas as the rest of the plants receive along the run that it covers. I would give them more water if I could now and thru the summer, which would go against my own success! I just feel they HAVE to be stealing water from some neighbor or two.

And I've never seen or let mine wilt before watering.....

But this is all experimental and each yard and situation is different and perhaps this will work for you, so keep us posted.....

meamberpup
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our soil here is heavy clay and stays wet for just about forever. You guys have super sandy soil there so I imagine the water drains away quickly.

I water the banana a lot during the summer so I'm sure the moisture from it will dampen the soil for quite a ways from it. Also, about 2 feet under the heavy clay in my yard the soil turns into almost pure rock so I believe that when the water hits that it flows outwardly horizontally. So, in reality I'm not planning to water the papaya itself directly but it will have damp soil nearby.

Yes, I think in your soil frequent water in summer is a must. I was in Palm Springs for the Indian Wells Tennis Tournament at the beginning of March and I'm amazed how sandy it is there. Like being on a beach.. ha ha.
myamberdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Phoenix T - I just assumed the Phoenix area was all like what I've got. Amazing....heavy clay - that was like my soil was back in upstate NY where I grew up - horrible to grow things in unless it's amended, and like you said, when it dries, like ROCK!!!!!!!

Well, PT, good luck with this papaya experiment - some day you'll get the formula down.....persistence, persistence....

myamberCanine
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: