Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Using pine needles for mulch... no more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Using pine needles for mulch... no more Reply with quote

It seems there is all kinds of conflicting information on the web about whether pine needles make good mulch or not. One camp says that pine needles are allelopathic (produce chemicals that kill other plants) and another group says that it makes great mulch. The allelopathic group says that the needles produce acids as they decompose that kill other plants.

So, since we live in a place were the soil is very alkaline, I have long had the theory that acid from pine needles is a good thing. For over 5 years I have had a number of trees growing near the drip line of a large Afghan Pine. This pine is very similar looking to a ponderosa, but of course adapted to heat and alkaline soil.

I happily let the pine tree lay down a nice blanket of needles around my other trees. However, over the years I have noticed plants suffering in these locations, especially in the Fall which happens to be a time of year with a lot of pine needle drop. I would expect plants to normally do better in the Fall, not worse because the heat is easing up. Part of my rye grass lawn is also under this tree, but suffers no ill affects. Then again the lawn mower always sweeps up the pine needles there.

This leads me to another theory I have seen on the internet. The theory is that the needles themselves are not really a problem, rather the pine roots are so competitive and the shade cast by the tree is such that other plants don't grow. However, my lawn doing just fine under the tree seems to shoot down that theory.

Therefore, I have only one conclusion that makes sense. Those darn needles are hard on other plants, and it must be more than just some kind of acidification of the soil, because that wouldn't be a problem here in Phoenix.

So, today I did some serious raking around the plants near my pine tree, and pulled up all the needles I could reasonably collect. It will be interesting to see the result.

I also did this years ago below a eucalyptus with positive results. By the way, that pine tree produces some great afternoon shade for some of my fruit trees, so I don't want to get rid of it completely.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting article. Looks like "phenolics" are produced by pine needles. I also imagine that maybe full composting would destroy these negative chemicals and this is why many people find pine needles good for compost.

http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/trees_turf.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: