Phoenix Tropicals Phoenix Tropicals Gardening
Connect with your neighbors to swap gardening information.

Phoenix Tropicals

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airtags on sale at Amazon!

Come Join The New Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum On Facebook

Stawberry tree yummy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Stawberry tree yummy Reply with quote

Its interesting, because everywhere I read that strawberry tree fruit are bland and tasteless. However, on a recent trip to San Diego (in early August) I tasted some strawberry tree fruit and they were well.... delicious. They were sweet and the flavor was very similar to strawberries. I'm thinking that the bad reputation the fruit has is due to people growing the tree in cooler climates. For example, I tried strawberry tree fruit in Pasadena at Huntington botanical gardens in December and the fruit was bland. Cooler time of the year, cooler climate than San Diego? Anyways, I'm going to try it here in Phoenix. With our heat, the fruit just might be super sweet. I hear the tree needs a fair amount of shade here though.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Strawberry tree fruit Reply with quote

I am glad that I spotted this post. I have wanted a Strawberry tree and had scratched it off of my list because I had read where the fruit was bland. However after reading this, I am moving it back to my list.
There is a huge Ironwood tree in my yard and I was thinking of planting one on the North side of this. Right now there is an Izu Persimmon that needs company.
phoenixtropicals
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing my old post made me realize I've had that tree 4 years now. Still no fruit on it, but its healthy. It's in a fairly shady spot so maybe that's why. I'll be sure to post here if it finally fruits.
Dauntless

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Good to hear Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that it's healthy. Sometimes even though things grow here, they don't look very good and don't really thrive. Since I will be able to see the Strawberry tree from my patio, I'd like it to look good.
I hope yours fruits soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Phoenix Tropicals Gardening Forum Index -> Fruit All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: